on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the Borderlands Porteous family come from? What is the Borderlands Porteous family crest and coat of arms? When did the Porteous family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Porteous family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Porteous, Portieous, Porteus, Porteas, Pertus and others.
First found in Peeblesshire, where they were settled at Halkshaw. The earliest reference of the name seems to be of a Guillaume Porteuse (later William Porteous,) who arrived from Normandy, circa 1400.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Porteous research. Another 173 words(12 lines of text) covering the years 1443, 1478, 1484, 1550, 1670, 1672, 1736, 1735 and 1813 are included under the topic Early Porteous History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 107 words(8 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Porteous Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Porteous Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Robert Porteous, who arrived in Boston in 1657
- George Porteous, who arrived in Barbados in 1666
- Edward Porteous, his wife Margaret, and their son John, who all arrived in Virginia in 1675
Porteous Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- James Porteous, who arrived in Maryland in 1714
- James Porteous, who came to Maryland in 1714
- John Porteous, who came to New York in 1786
Porteous Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Andrew Porteous, who came to New York, NY in 1821
- Hugh A Porteous, who landed in California in 1890
Porteous Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- John Porteous, who settled in Nova Scotia in 1835
- Agnes Porteous, who settled in Ontario in 1855
- Sam Porteous, who landed in Victoria, British Columbia in 1862
Porteous Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- Robert Porteous, aged 28, a wood turner, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Halcione" in 1870
- James Porteous (1848-1922), Scottish born, American, inventor of the Fresno Scraper, used in excavation
- George Porteous CM, MBE (1903-1977), Scottish-born, Canadian Lieutenant-Governor of Saskatchewan
- Captain Patrick Anthony Porteous (1918-2000), English Captain in the British army, who received the Victoria Cross
- Rose Porteous (b. 1948), Filipino-born Australian socialite
- Ian Porteous (b. 1964), former Scottish football player
- John Alexander Porteous (1932-1995), Canadian columnist and journalist from Saint John, New Brunswick
- John Robertson "Johnny" Porteous (1921-2007), Scottish footballer from Motherwell, Scotland
- Norman Walker Porteous (1898-2003), Scottish theologian and writer, the last surviving officer of the First World War
- William "Willie" Porteous (b. 1945), Canadian-born, Australian land developer and real estate agent
- Thomas Stoddard Porteous (1864-1919), English footballer
- Hanks, Hodges, Mills and Room. The Oxford Names Companion. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2002. Print. (ISBN 0-19-860561-7).
- Bede, The Venerable. Historia Ecclesiatica Gentis Anglorum (The Ecclesiastical History Of the English People). Available through Internet Medieval Sourcebook the Fordham University Centre for Medieval Studies. Print.
- Dunkling, Leslie. Dictionary of Surnames. Toronto: Collins, 1998. Print. (ISBN 0004720598).
- Markale, J. Celtic Civilization. London: Gordon & Cremonesi, 1976. Print.
- Fairbairn. Fairbain's book of Crests of the Families of Great Britain and Ireland, 4th Edition 2 volumes in one. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1968. Print.
- Marcharn, Frederick George. A Constitutional History of Modern England 1485 to the Present. London: Harper and Brothers, 1960. Print.
- Magnusson, Magnus. Chambers Biographical Dictionary 5th edition. Edinburgh: W & R Chambers, 1990. Print.
- Crispin, M. Jackson and Leonce Mary. Falaise Roll Recording Prominent Companions of William Duke of Normandy at the Conquest of England. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Burke, John Bernard Ed. The Roll of Battle Abbey. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- MacAulay, Thomas Babington. History of England from the Accession of James the Second 4 volumes. New York: Harper and Brothers, 1879. Print.
The Porteous Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Porteous Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 13 November 2014 at 16:21.
on orders of $85 or more