100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
The surname Porteous was first found in Peeblesshire
, where they were settled at Halkshaw. The earliest reference of the name seems to be of a Guillaume Porteuse (later William Porteous,) who arrived from Normandy
, circa 1400.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Porteous, Portieous, Porteus, Porteas, Pertus and others.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Porteous research. Another 173 words (12 lines of text) covering the years 1443, 1478, 1484, 1550, 1670, 1672, 1736, 1735 and 1813 are included under the topic Early Porteous History in all our PDF Extended History products
Another 107 words (8 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Porteous Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Porteous Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Robert Porteous, who arrived in Boston in 1657
- George Porteous, who arrived in Barbados in 1666
- Edward Porteous, his wife Margaret, and their son John, who all arrived in Virginia in 1675
Porteous Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- James Porteous, who arrived in Maryland in 1714
- James Porteous, who came to Maryland in 1714
- John Porteous, who came to New York in 1786
Porteous Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Andrew Porteous, who came to New York, NY in 1821
- Hugh A Porteous, who landed in California in 1890
Porteous Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- John Porteous, who settled in Nova Scotia in 1835
- Agnes Porteous, who settled in Ontario in 1855
- Sam Porteous, who landed in Victoria, British Columbia in 1862
Porteous Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- Robert Porteous, aged 28, a wood turner, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Halcione" in 1870
- L. Robert Porteous Jr., American Republican politician, Alternate Delegate to Republican National Convention from Maine, 1960
- John F. Porteous, American politician, U.S. Consul in Oporto, 1857-61
- James H. Porteous, American Republican politician, Candidate for Connecticut State House of Representatives from Middletown, 1926
- James G. Porteous, American politician, Member of New York State Assembly from Warren County, 1873
- Dave Porteous (b. 1952), American Republican politician, Member of Michigan State University board of trustees; Appointed 1996; Defeated, 1996; Elected 1998
- James Porteous (1848-1922), Scottish born, American, inventor of the Fresno Scraper, used in excavation
- Mr. James Porteous (1883-1914), Scottish Timberman from Rigside, Lanarkshire, Scotland, United Kingdom who worked in the Hillcrest Coal Mine, Alberta, Canada and died in the mine collapse on June 19 1914
- Mr. Alexander Porteous (1877-1914), Scottish Miner from Douglas Parish, Lanarkshire, Scotland, United Kingdom who worked in the Hillcrest Coal Mine, Alberta, Canada and died in the mine collapse on June 19 1914
- Thomas Stoddard Porteous (1864-1919), English footballer
- William "Willie" Porteous (b. 1945), Canadian-born, Australian land developer and real estate agent
- Holt, J.C. Ed. Domesday Studies. Woodbridge: Boydell, 1987. Print. (ISBN 0-85115-477-8).
- Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin . Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8).
- Foster, Joseph. Dictionary of Heraldry Feudal Coats of Arms and Pedigrees. London: Bracken Books, 1989. Print. (ISBN 1-85170-309-8).
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Peerage and Baronetage, The Privy Council, Knightage and Compainonage. London: Burke Publishing, 1921. Print.
- Cook, Chris. English Historical Facts 1603-1688. London: MacMillan, 1980. Print.
- Marcharn, Frederick George. A Constitutional History of Modern England 1485 to the Present. London: Harper and Brothers, 1960. Print.
- Hanks, Hodges, Mills and Room. The Oxford Names Companion. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2002. Print. (ISBN 0-19-860561-7).
- Hinde, Thomas Ed. The Domesday Book England's Heritage Then and Now. Surrey: Colour Library Books, 1995. Print. (ISBN 1-85833-440-3).
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Burke's Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Landed Gentry: Including American Families with British Ancestry. (2 Volumes). London: Burke Publishing, 1939. Print.
- Sanders, Joanne McRee Edition. English Settlers in Barbados 1637-1800. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
The Porteous Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Porteous Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 12 May 2016 at 15:30.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!