100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
Spelling variations of this family name include: Mower, Mawer, Mowery, Mawery, Mawere, Mowere and others.
First found in Somerset, where the name first appeared in the early 13th century. The name Mowery, like many surnames, is most likely occupational in origin; in other words, the first bearer of the name took it because it pertained to his profession. The name comes from the Old English word "mawan," meaning "to mow," so the first bearer of the name was most likely one who mowed for a living. The possibility also exists that there is another English Mower family whose name is a variation on the Irish name Moore, but this line of ancestry is rare, if it exists at all.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Mowery research. Another 180 words (13 lines of text) covering the years 1225, 1263, and 1332 are included under the topic Early Mowery History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Mowery Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the Mowery family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 113 words (8 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Mowery Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Alice Mowery, aged 28, who emigrated to the United States, in 1908
- Mary Mowery, aged 1, who emigrated to America, in 1908
- Herbert C. Mowery, aged 34, who landed in America, in 1910
- David C. Mowery, American Professor of New Enterprise Development at the University of California, Berkeley
- M. E. Mowery, American Democrat politician, Member of West Virginia State House of Delegates 8th District, 1975-78; Defeated, 1978, 1982
- Jean Mowery, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Pennsylvania, 1972
- Faye I. Mowery, American Republican politician, Alternate Delegate to Republican National Convention from Indiana, 1972
- Fay Mowery, American Republican politician, Alternate Delegate to Republican National Convention from Ohio, 1960
- Anna Mowery, American Republican politician, Member of Texas State House of Representatives 97th District; Elected 1992, 1994; Elected unopposed 1996, 1998; Elected 2000, 2002, 2004, 2006
- Harold F. Mowery Jr (1930-2014), American politician, Republican member of the Pennsylvania State Senate (1993-2004)
- Egle, William Henry. Pennsylvania Genealogies Scotch-Irish and German. Harrisburg: L.S. Hart, 1886. Print.
- Hanks, Hodges, Mills and Room. The Oxford Names Companion. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2002. Print. (ISBN 0-19-860561-7).
- Burke, Sir Bernard. General Armory Of England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales. Ramsbury: Heraldry Today. Print.
- Skordas, Guest. Ed. The Early Settlers of Maryland an Index to Names or Immigrants Complied from Records of Land Patents 1633-1680 in the Hall of Records Annapolis, Maryland. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1968. Print.
- Magnusson, Magnus. Chambers Biographical Dictionary 5th edition. Edinburgh: W & R Chambers, 1990. Print.
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- Crispin, M. Jackson and Leonce Mary. Falaise Roll Recording Prominent Companions of William Duke of Normandy at the Conquest of England. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Shaw, William A. Knights of England A Complete Record from the Earliest Time to the Present Day of the Knights of all the Orders of Chivalry in England, Scotland, Ireland and Knights Bachelors 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 080630443X).
- Reaney P.H and R.M. Wilson. A Dictionary of English Surnames. London: Routledge, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-415-05737-X).
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Bolton's American Armory. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1964. Print.
The Mowery Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Mowery Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 20 October 2015 at 14:58.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!