Michaels History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
The distinguished surname Michaels is one of the many names that first came to England in the wake of the Norman Conquest of 1066. The name is derived from the given name "Michel," meaning "who is like God."  One source notes of another possible origin: " Anglo-Saxon mycel, great, or mickle, would be a tolerably satisfactory etymon, and this may in some instances be the origin of the surname; but I think in most cases it is derived from Michael, a very popular baptismal name in many countries, through its French form, Michel." 
Early Origins of the Michaels family
The surname Michaels was first found in many places throughout ancient Britain. As if to underscore this claim, the following entries were found in the Hundredorum Rolls of 1273: Hugh filius Micahel in Lincolnshire; Roger Michel in Norfolk; and as a forename, Mikael de Brackele in London. Years later, the Yorkshire Poll Tax Rolls of 1379 listed the following: Johannes Michelson; Thomas Michilson and Adam Michelson.  the name was "distributed over England, but far more frequent in the south. Its home, par excellence, is in the county of Cornwall, where in nearly half the instances it is written Michell, though the pronunciation is the same. Its other homes are in Sussex, Wilts, and in the West Riding. Its prevalence in Cornwall is due to the fact that several parishes and places in the county bear the name of St. Michael in one form or another." 
Early History of the Michaels family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Michaels research. Another 136 words (10 lines of text) covering the years 1068, 1438, 1745, 1816 and are included under the topic Early Michaels History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Michaels Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Mitchell, Michel, Michell, Mitchill, Mychell, Mitcham and many more.
Early Notables of the Michaels family (pre 1700)
Another 37 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Michaels Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Michaels family to Ireland
Some of the Michaels family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt.
Another 79 words (6 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Michaels migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Michaels Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Carle Vallenthien Michaels, who sailed to Philadelphia in 1730
- Carl Val Michaels, who arrived in America in 1730 
Michaels Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- John P Michaels, who landed in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1806 
- Johan Michaels, aged 26, who arrived in New York, NY in 1849 
- August Michaels, who landed in New York, NY in 1850 
Contemporary Notables of the name Michaels (post 1700) +
- Lorne Michaels CM (b. 1944), born Lorne Lipowitz, a Canadian raised-American thirteen-time Emmy Award winning television producer, writer, comedian, and actor, best known for creating and producing Saturday Night Live, the Late Night series and The Tonight Show; awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom in 2016
- Lou Michaels (1935-2016), American NFL football player who played from 1958 to 1971, inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame in 1992
- Frankie Michaels (1955-2016), American singer and actor of stage, film and television, th youngest person to win a Tony Award at age ten for his performance in Mame in 1966
- William Mayes "Bill" Michaels (1876-1934), American bronze medalist for boxing at the 1904 Olympics
- Patrick J Michaels (b. 1950), American Research Professor of Environmental Sciences at the University of Virginia
- Leonard Michaels (1933-2003), American writer
- Juanita Marcus Michaels, American Republican politician, Delegate to Republican National Convention from New Mexico, 1972
- J. H. Michaels, American politician, Member of South Dakota State House of Representatives 28th District, 1895-98, 1905-06
- George M. Michaels (1910-1992), American Democrat politician, Candidate for New York State Senate 47th District, 1946; Member of New York State Assembly, 1961-66, 1969-70 (Cayuga County 1961-65, 137th District 1966, 122nd District 1969-70)
- Gene Lamar Michaels, American Democrat politician, Candidate in primary for Mayor of Baltimore, Maryland, 1987, 1991, 1999
- ... (Another 7 notables are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Related Stories +
- ^ Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges, A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8)
- ^ Lowe, Mark Anthony, Patronymica Britannica, A Dictionary of Family Names of the United Kingdom. London: John Russel Smith, 1860. Print.
- ^ Bardsley, C.W, A Dictionary of English and Welsh Surnames: With Special American Instances. Wiltshire: Heraldry Today, 1901. Print. (ISBN 0-900455-44-6)
- ^ Guppy, Henry Brougham, Homes of Family Names in Great Britain. 1890. Print.
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)