Michaell History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
The distinguished surname Michaell is one of the many names that first came to England in the wake of the Norman Conquest of 1066. The name is derived from the given name "Michel," meaning "who is like God."  One source notes of another possible origin: " Anglo-Saxon mycel, great, or mickle, would be a tolerably satisfactory etymon, and this may in some instances be the origin of the surname; but I think in most cases it is derived from Michael, a very popular baptismal name in many countries, through its French form, Michel." 
Early Origins of the Michaell family
The surname Michaell was first found in many places throughout ancient Britain. As if to underscore this claim, the following entries were found in the Hundredorum Rolls of 1273: Hugh filius Micahel in Lincolnshire; Roger Michel in Norfolk; and as a forename, Mikael de Brackele in London. Years later, the Yorkshire Poll Tax Rolls of 1379 listed the following: Johannes Michelson; Thomas Michilson and Adam Michelson.  the name was "distributed over England, but far more frequent in the south. Its home, par excellence, is in the county of Cornwall, where in nearly half the instances it is written Michell, though the pronunciation is the same. Its other homes are in Sussex, Wilts, and in the West Riding. Its prevalence in Cornwall is due to the fact that several parishes and places in the county bear the name of St. Michael in one form or another." 
Important Dates for the Michaell family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Michaell research. Another 136 words (10 lines of text) covering the years 1068, 1438, 1745, 1816 and are included under the topic Early Michaell History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Michaell Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Mitchell, Michel, Michell, Mitchill, Mychell, Mitcham and many more.
Early Notables of the Michaell family (pre 1700)
Another 37 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Michaell Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Michaell family to Ireland
Some of the Michaell family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt.
Another 79 words (6 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Michaell migration to the United States
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Michaell Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Ann Michaell, who landed in Virginia in 1623 
- Richard Michaell, who landed in Virginia in 1645 
- Edward Michaell, who arrived in Virginia in 1648 
- Fra Michaell, who arrived in Virginia in 1662 
- Gabriell Michaell, who landed in Virginia in 1662 
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
- ^ Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges, A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8)
- ^ Lowe, Mark Anthony, Patronymica Britannica, A Dictionary of Family Names of the United Kingdom. London: John Russel Smith, 1860. Print.
- ^ Bardsley, C.W, A Dictionary of English and Welsh Surnames: With Special American Instances. Wiltshire: Heraldry Today, 1901. Print. (ISBN 0-900455-44-6)
- ^ Guppy, Henry Brougham, Homes of Family Names in Great Britain. 1890. Print.
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)