McGow History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The surname McGow comes from the Gaelic Mac Ghobhainn, meaning son of the smith. 
Early Origins of the McGow family
The surname McGow was first found in Inverness-shire (Gaelic: Siorrachd Inbhir Nis) divided between the present day Scottish Council Areas of Highland and Western Isles, and consisting of a large northern mainland area and various island areas off the west coast, the shire was anciently both a Pictish and Norwegian stronghold, where the name is from the Gaelic 'Govha' meaning 'a blacksmith' and as such could have been a name that applied to people throughout Scotland. However, as in the case of clans like the Fletchers or Clarks, eventually the name became attributed to a specific area or region. As such, The Clan was also located in Nithsfield in the 12th century, and recorded as a Border Clan. To the west in Elgin and Galloway they were known as the MacGavins.
Important Dates for the McGow family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our McGow research. Another 158 words (11 lines of text) covering the years 1396, 1613, 1698, 1725 and are included under the topic Early McGow History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
McGow Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: MacGowan, McGowan, MacGowin, McGowin, MacGowen, McGowen, Gow, Gowan, Gowen, Gowin, MacGavin, McGavin and many more.
Early Notables of the McGow family (pre 1700)
Another 34 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early McGow Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the McGow family to Ireland
Some of the McGow family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt.
Another 99 words (7 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
McGow migration to the United States
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Typical McGow Emigration from the United Kingdom to North America
McGow Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- James McGow, aged 35, who settled in America, in 1894
- James McGow, aged 24, who immigrated to the United States, in 1896
McGow Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Mary Ann McGow, aged 58, who landed in America from Dundee, Scotland, in 1923
- Thomas McGow, aged 60, who immigrated to America from Dundee, Scotland, in 1923
- Thomas Richard McGow, aged 37, who landed in America from Dundee, Scotland, in 1923
- George Stobie McGow, aged 1, who landed in America from Broughty Ferry, Scotland, in 1924
- Margaret Anderson McGow, aged 25, who immigrated to the United States from Broughty Ferry, Scotland, in 1924
You May Also Like
- ^ Smith, Eldson Coles, New Dictionary of American Family Names New York, Harper & Row, 1956. Print