McEniry History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Early Origins of the McEniry family
The surname McEniry was first found in Limerick (Irish: Luimneach) located in Southwestern Ireland, in the province of Munster, where they held a family seat as descendents of Sedna, son of Cairbre Aedbha, descended from Olioll Olum, King of Munster who died 234. The tribe held a family seat on the River Maig to Abbey Feale. Kennith MacEneiry, King of Conallo, was slain in battle in 1029. Irish history, after the Norman Conquest of England, was strongly influenced by the invasion of Strongbow in 1172, almost equal to the enormous Irish cultural impact on England Scotland, Wales and the whole of Europe before the Norman Conquest from the 1st to 7th centuries. Many Irish clanns, sept names were intermixed and family groupings became almost indistinguishable. This family name was found later in Casletown McEniry when they clann erected a castle at Kilmoodan. John McEniry, chief of his kin, of Castletown McEniry surrendered his lands but was re-granted them in 1607. Many others were forfeited in the 17th century.
Early History of the McEniry family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our McEniry research. Another 76 words (5 lines of text) covering the year 1656 is included under the topic Early McEniry History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
McEniry Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: McEniry, McEnery, McInergh, McInneirghe, McEnnery, McKynery, Mannery, McEnrigh and many more.
Early Notables of the McEniry family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early McEniry Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the McEniry family
Some of the first settlers of this family name or some of its variants were: Juan McEnery, who arrived in St. Augustine, FL in 1797; Jayme McEnery, who arrived in St. Augustine, FL in 1797; Michael McEnery, who settled in Indiana sometime between 1850 and 1852.
Contemporary Notables of the name McEniry (post 1700) +
- William McEniry (1860-1916), American politician, Member of Illinois State House of Representatives, 1897-99
- Matthew J. McEniry, American Democrat politician, Alternate Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Illinois, 1912
- John T. McEniry, American Republican politician, Alternate Delegate to Republican National Convention from Alabama, 1924, 1928, 1932, 1936
- Hugh McEniry, American Republican politician, Candidate for Governor of Alabama, 1942
- E. F. McEniry, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Iowa, 1936
- Gloria McEniry (b. 1923), birth name of Gloria Henry, American actress, best known as Dennis' mom, from the 1959 sitcom, Dennis the Menace 
- William Hugh McEniry, Acting Chancellor of Western Carolina University (1973)
- Robert McEniry, President and CEO of Mitsubishi Motors Australia Limited
Related Stories +