100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
The surname McCue in Ireland have evolved from the Gaelic Mac Aodha, which means son of Aodh or son of Hugh.
Before widespread literacy came to Ireland, a name was often recorded under several different variations during the life of its bearer. Accordingly, numerous spelling variations were revealed in the search for the origin of the name McCue family name. Variations found include McHugh, MacHugh, McCue, MacCue, MacKew, McKew and others.
First found in Connacht (Irish: Connachta, (land of the) descendants of Conn), where they held a family seat from very ancient times.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our McCue research. Another 346 words (25 lines of text) covering the years 1313, 1348, and 1585 are included under the topic Early McCue History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early McCue Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
During the 19th century thousands of impoverished Irish families made the long journey to British North America and the United States. These people were leaving a land that had become beset with poverty, lack of opportunity, and hunger. In North America, they hoped to find land, work, and political and religious freedoms. Although the majority of the immigrants that survived the long sea passage did make these discoveries, it was not without much perseverance and hard work: by the mid-19th century land suitable for agriculture was short supply, especially in British North America, in the east; the work available was generally low paying and physically taxing construction or factory work; and the English stereotypes concerning the Irish, although less frequent and vehement, were, nevertheless, present in the land of freedom, liberty, and equality for all men. The largest influx of Irish settlers occurred with Great Potato Famine during the late 1840s. Research into passenger and immigration lists has brought forth evidence of the early members of the McCue family in North America:
McCue Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Michael McCue, who landed in America in 1811
- Owen McCue, aged 34, arrived in Louisiana in 1812
- Edward McCue, aged 22, landed in Pennsylvania in 1814
- John McCue, who arrived in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1838
- Dominick McCue, who arrived in Mississippi in 1840
McCue Settlers in Canada in the 18th Century
- Mr. William McCue U.E. who settled in Escott, Leeds and the Thousand Islands, Ontario c. 1784 he served in the Royal Regiment of New York
McCue Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- Mary McCue, aged 15, arrived in Saint John, NB in 1834 aboard the brig "Ann & Mary" from Cork
- John McCue, aged 21, arrived in Saint John aboard the ship "Ranger" in 1834
- J J McCue (1875-1935), American politician, Mayor of Boise, Idaho (1933 to 1935)
- Peter McCue (1895-1923), American racehorse pioneer
- Harry McCue (1927-2005), Irish footballer who played in the League of Ireland during the 1950s
- James Gerrard McCue (b. 1975), Scottish former professional footballer
- Clarence "Clarrie" Gordon McCue (1927-1992), Australian meteorologist
- Paul McCue (b. 1958), English military historian, writer and author
- Tommy McCue (b. 1913), English professional rugby league footballer of the 1930s and '40s
- John William McCue (1922-1999), English footballer
- Patrick Aloysius McCue (1883-1962), Australian representative rugby union player
- Anne McCue, Australian alternative country singer-songwriter
- Bullock, L.G. Historical Map of Ireland. Edinburgh: Bartholomew and Son, 1969. Print.
- MacLysaght, Edward. Mores Irish Familes. Dublin: Irish Academic, 1982. Print. (ISBN 0-7165-0126-0).
- Leyburn, James Graham. The Scotch-Irish A Social History. Chapel Hill: UNC Press, 1962. Print. (ISBN 0807842591).
- Heraldic Scroll and Map of Family names and Origins of Ireland. Dublin: Mullins. Print.
- MacLysaght, Edward. Irish Families Their Names, Arms and Origins 4th Edition. Dublin: Irish Academic, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-7165-2364-7).
- Sullivan, Sir Edward. The Book of Kells 3rd Edition. New York: Crescent Books, 1986. Print. (ISBN 0-517-61987-3).
- Robb H. Amanda and Andrew Chesler. Encyclopedia of American Family Names. New York: Haper Collins, 1995. Print. (ISBN 0-06-270075-8).
- Donovan, George Francis. The Pre-Revolutionary Irish in Massachusetts 1620-1775. Menasha, WI: Geroge Banta Publsihing Co., 1932. Print.
- Harris, Ruth-Ann and B. Emer O'Keefe. The Search for Missing Friends Irish Immigrant Advertisements Placed in the Boston Pilot Volume II 1851-1853. Boston, MA: New England Historic Genealogical Society, 1991. Print.
- Tepper, Michael Ed & Elizabeth P. Bentley Transcriber. Passenger Arrivals at the Port of Philadelphia 1800-1819. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1986. Print.
The McCue Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The McCue Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 13 March 2016 at 16:27.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!