Early Origins of the McCrann family
The surname McCrann was first found in Leitrim
(Irish: Liatroim) anciently the western half of the kingdom of Breifne, located in Northeastern Ireland
, in Leinster
province, where they held a family seat
as a descendant of Billrian, a chief of the Heber
line of Kings, descended from Daire Cearb, brother of Lughaidh, a King of Munster
. Irish history, after the Norman Conquest
, was strongly influenced by the invasion of Strongbow
in 1172, almost equal to the enormous Irish cultural impact on England Scotland
and the whole of Europe before the Norman Conquest
from the 1st to 7th centuries. Many Irish clanns, sept names were intermixed and family groupings became almost indistinguishable.
Early History of the McCrann family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our McCrann research.Another 212 words (15 lines of text) are included under the topic Early McCrann History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
McCrann Spelling Variations
of this family name include: McRinn, Rinn, Ring, McCrann, McCran, Cran, Crann, Rynne and many more.
Early Notables of the McCrann family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early McCrann Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the McCrann family to the New World and Oceana
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
McCrann Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Miles McCrann, who arrived in Ohio sometime between 1854 and 1856
- James McCrann, who settled in St. Charles in 1855
McCrann Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Michael James McCrann, who settled in Nebraska in 1917
Contemporary Notables of the name McCrann (post 1700)
- Kelly McCrann, American actress, known for Accommodations (2017), The Comedian (2016) and The Deal (2011)
- Dr. Anthony McCrann, American Professor of English at Peru State College, Nebraska
- Terry McCrann, Australian columnist at the Australia Herald-Sun