Manifold History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Early Origins of the Manifold family
The surname Manifold was first found in Cheshire where they held a family seat as Lords of the Manor. The Saxon influence of English history diminished after the Battle of Hastings in 1066. The language of the courts was French for the next three centuries and the Norman ambience prevailed. But Saxon surnames survived and the family name was first referenced in the 13th century.
Early History of the Manifold family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Manifold research. Another 114 words (8 lines of text) covering the years 1455, 1487, and 1595 are included under the topic Early Manifold History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Manifold Spelling Variations
Sound was what guided spelling in the essentially pre-literate Middle Ages, so one person's name was often recorded under several variations during a single lifetime. Also, before the advent of the printing press and the first dictionaries, the English language was not standardized. Therefore, spelling variations were common, even among the names of the most literate people. Known variations of the Manifold family name include Manfold, Manifold, Manyfold, Manefold, Manifolt and others.
Early Notables of the Manifold family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Manifold Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Manifold migration to the United States +
For political, religious, and economic reasons, thousands of English families boarded ships for Ireland, Canada, the America colonies, and many of smaller tropical colonies in the hope of finding better lives abroad. Although the passage on the cramped, dank ships caused many to arrive in the New World diseased and starving, those families that survived the trip often went on to make valuable contributions to those new societies to which they arrived. Early immigrants bearing the Manifold surname or a spelling variation of the name include:
Manifold Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- John Manifold, who settled in Boston in 1635
- William Manifold, who settled in Virginia in 1635
- Jo Manifold, aged 17, who arrived in America in 1635 
- William Manifold, aged 20, who arrived in Virginia in 1635 
Manifold Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Joseph Manifold, who arrived in Maryland in 1771
Manifold migration to Australia +
Emigration to Australia
followed the First Fleets
of convicts, tradespeople and early settlers. Early immigrants include:
Manifold Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- Walter Manifold (aged 34), a labourer, who arrived in South Australia in 1856 aboard the ship "Gomelza"
Contemporary Notables of the name Manifold (post 1700) +
- Jay Manifold, American Libertarian politician, Candidate for Texas State House of Representatives 103rd District, 1992 
- Jay Manifold, American Libertarian politician, Candidate for U.S. Representative from Missouri 5th District, 1986 
- John Manifold, Australian poet and critic, known for his interest in Australian folk songs
Related Stories +
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, October 8) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html