100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
The surname Madigan originally appeared in Gaelic as "Mac an Mhadaidh," which is probably derived from the word "madadh," which means dog.
The surname Madigan was first found in County Galway
(Irish: Gaillimh) part of the province of Connacht
, located on the west coast of the Island, where they held a family seat
from ancient times.
Spelling variations of this family name include: MacAvaddy, Madden, O'Madden, Madigan, Macavadan and others.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Madigan research. Another 177 words (13 lines of text) covering the years 1556, 1567, 1677, 1715, 1713 and 1715 are included under the topic Early Madigan History in all our PDF Extended History products
Another 67 words (5 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Madigan Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Madigan Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- James, John, Thomas, Walter Madigan arrived in Philadelphia and Boston in 1804
- John Madigan, who landed in Maine in 1811
- Walter Madigan, who landed in Maine in 1811
- William Madigan, who arrived in New York, NY in 1815
- Judy Madigan, who arrived in New York, NY in 1815
Madigan Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- Martin Madigan, who landed in Nova Scotia in 1841
Madigan Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- Michael Madigan, aged 23, a labourer, arrived in South Australia in 1850 aboard the ship "Fatima"
- Thomas Madigan, aged 22, arrived in South Australia in 1850 aboard the ship "Fatima"
- Ellen Madigan, aged 19, a servant, arrived in South Australia in 1850 aboard the ship "Fatima"
- Honora Madigan, aged 18, a servant, arrived in South Australia in 1854 aboard the ship "Emerald Isle"
- John Madigan, aged 48, arrived in South Australia in 1854 aboard the ship "Nugget"
Madigan Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- Julia Madigan, aged 19, a servant, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Rakaia" in 1878
- Martin Madigan, aged 30, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Zealandia" in 1879
- James Madigan, aged 19, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Zealandia" in 1879
- Ellen Madigan, aged 29, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Zealandia" in 1879
- Michael Madigan, aged 25, a farm labourer, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Arethusa" in 1879
- Bernice Madigan (1899-2015), American supercentenarian, the oldest living resident of Massachusetts, she died aged 115 years, 163 days
- Edward Patrick "Slip" Madigan (1896-1966), American college football player at Notre Dame University
- Michael Madigan (b. 1942), American politician from Illinois, congressman
- Lisa Madigan (b. 1966), American politician from Illinois, Illinois state Attorney General
- Kathleen Madigan (b. 1965), American television comedian
- Edward Rell Madigan (1936-1994), American politician from Illinois, congressman and Secretary of Agriculture
- Amy Madigan (b. 1950), American actress
- Miss Margaret "Maggie" Madigan, aged 21, Irish Third Class passenger from Askeaton, Limerick who sailed aboard the RMS Titanic and survived in the sinking in life boat 15
- Cecil Madigan (1889-1947), Australian explorer, geologist, and Rhodes Scholar
- Elvira Madigan (1867-1889), Danish ropedancer and trick rider, eponym of a film
- Harris, Ruth-Ann and B. Emer O'Keefe. The Search for Missing Friends Irish Immigrant Advertisements Placed in the Boston Pilot Volume II 1851-1853. Boston, MA: New England Historic Genealogical Society, 1991. Print.
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- Fairbairn. Fairbain's book of Crests of the Families of Great Britain and Ireland, 4th Edition 2 volumes in one. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1968. Print.
- Matthews, John. Matthews' American Armoury and Blue Book. London: John Matthews, 1911. Print.
- Bowman, George Ernest. The Mayflower Reader A Selection of Articales from The Mayflower Descendent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Kennedy, Patrick. Kennedy's Book of Arms. Canterbury: Achievements, 1967. Print.
- Fitzgerald, Thomas W. Ireland and Her People A Library of Irish Biography 5 Volumes. Chicago: Fitzgerald. Print.
- Zieber, Eugene. Heraldry in America. Philadelphia: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Chadwick, Nora Kershaw and J.X.W.P Corcoran. The Celts. London: Penguin, 1970. Print. (ISBN 0140212116).
- Woulfe, Rev. Patrick. Irish Names and Surnames Collected and Edited with Explanatory and Historical Notes. Kansas City: Genealogical Foundation, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-940134-403).
The Madigan Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Madigan Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 4 January 2015 at 15:31.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!