on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
Where did the Irish Madigan family come from? What is the Irish Madigan family crest and coat of arms? When did the Madigan family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Madigan family history?The surname Madigan originally appeared in Gaelic as "Mac an Mhadaidh," which is probably derived from the word "madadh," which means dog.
Spelling variations of this family name include: MacAvaddy, Madden, O'Madden, Madigan, Macavadan and others.
First found in County Galway (Irish: Gaillimh) part of the province of Connacht, located on the west coast of the Island, where they held a family seat from ancient times.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Madigan research. Another 177 words (13 lines of text) covering the years 1556, 1567, 1677, 1715, 1713 and 1715 are included under the topic Early Madigan History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 67 words (5 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Madigan Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Madigan Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- James, John, Thomas, Walter Madigan arrived in Philadelphia and Boston in 1804
- John Madigan, who landed in Maine in 1811
- Walter Madigan, who landed in Maine in 1811
- William Madigan, who arrived in New York, NY in 1815
- Judy Madigan, who arrived in New York, NY in 1815
Madigan Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- Martin Madigan, who landed in Nova Scotia in 1841
Madigan Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- Michael Madigan, aged 23, a labourer, arrived in South Australia in 1850 aboard the ship "Fatima"
- Thomas Madigan, aged 22, arrived in South Australia in 1850 aboard the ship "Fatima"
- Ellen Madigan, aged 19, a servant, arrived in South Australia in 1850 aboard the ship "Fatima"
- Honora Madigan, aged 18, a servant, arrived in South Australia in 1854 aboard the ship "Emerald Isle"
- John Madigan, aged 48, arrived in South Australia in 1854 aboard the ship "Nugget"
Madigan Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- Julia Madigan, aged 19, a servant, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Rakaia" in 1878
- Martin Madigan, aged 30, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Zealandia" in 1879
- James Madigan, aged 19, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Zealandia" in 1879
- Ellen Madigan, aged 29, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Zealandia" in 1879
- Michael Madigan, aged 25, a farm labourer, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Arethusa" in 1879
- Bernice Madigan (1899-2015), American supercentenarian, the oldest living resident of Massachusetts, she died aged 115 years, 163 days
- Edward Patrick "Slip" Madigan (1896-1966), American college football player at Notre Dame University
- Michael Madigan (b. 1942), American politician from Illinois, congressman
- Lisa Madigan (b. 1966), American politician from Illinois, Illinois state Attorney General
- Kathleen Madigan (b. 1965), American television comedian
- Edward Rell Madigan (1936-1994), American politician from Illinois, congressman and Secretary of Agriculture
- Amy Madigan (b. 1950), American actress
- Miss Margaret "Maggie" Madigan, aged 21, Irish Third Class passenger from Askeaton, Limerick who sailed aboard the RMS Titanic and survived in the sinking in life boat 15
- Cecil Madigan (1889-1947), Australian explorer, geologist, and Rhodes Scholar
- Elvira Madigan (1867-1889), Danish ropedancer and trick rider, eponym of a film
- Land Owners in Ireland. Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-1203-3).
- Vicars, Sir Arthur. Index to the Prerogative Wills of Ireland 1536-1810. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- MacLysaght, Edward. The Surnames of Ireland 3rd Edition. Dublin: Irish Academic, 1978. Print. (ISBN 0-7165-2278-0).
- Bowman, George Ernest. The Mayflower Reader A Selection of Articales from The Mayflower Descendent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Chadwick, Nora Kershaw and J.X.W.P Corcoran. The Celts. London: Penguin, 1970. Print. (ISBN 0140212116).
- Woodham-Smith, Cecil. The Great Hunger Ireland 1845-1849. New York: Old Town Books, 1962. Print. (ISBN 0-88029-385-3).
- Heraldic Scroll and Map of Family names and Origins of Ireland. Dublin: Mullins. Print.
- Filby, P. William and Mary K Meyer. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index in Four Volumes. Detroit: Gale Research, 1985. Print. (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8).
- Hickey, D.J. and J.E. Doherty. A New Dictionary of Irish History form 1800 2nd Edition. Dublin: Gil & MacMillian, 2003. Print.
The Madigan Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Madigan Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 4 January 2015 at 15:31.
on orders of $85 or more