100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
The surname Madigan originally appeared in Gaelic as "Mac an Mhadaidh," which is probably derived from the word "madadh," which means dog.
Spelling variations of this family name include: MacAvaddy, Madden, O'Madden, Madigan, Macavadan and others.
First found in County Galway (Irish: Gaillimh) part of the province of Connacht, located on the west coast of the Island, where they held a family seat from ancient times.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Madigan research. Another 177 words (13 lines of text) covering the years 1556, 1567, 1677, 1715, 1713 and 1715 are included under the topic Early Madigan History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 67 words (5 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Madigan Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Madigan Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- James, John, Thomas, Walter Madigan arrived in Philadelphia and Boston in 1804
- John Madigan, who landed in Maine in 1811
- Walter Madigan, who landed in Maine in 1811
- William Madigan, who arrived in New York, NY in 1815
- Judy Madigan, who arrived in New York, NY in 1815
Madigan Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- Martin Madigan, who landed in Nova Scotia in 1841
Madigan Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- Michael Madigan, aged 23, a labourer, arrived in South Australia in 1850 aboard the ship "Fatima"
- Thomas Madigan, aged 22, arrived in South Australia in 1850 aboard the ship "Fatima"
- Ellen Madigan, aged 19, a servant, arrived in South Australia in 1850 aboard the ship "Fatima"
- Honora Madigan, aged 18, a servant, arrived in South Australia in 1854 aboard the ship "Emerald Isle"
- John Madigan, aged 48, arrived in South Australia in 1854 aboard the ship "Nugget"
Madigan Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- Julia Madigan, aged 19, a servant, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Rakaia" in 1878
- Martin Madigan, aged 30, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Zealandia" in 1879
- James Madigan, aged 19, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Zealandia" in 1879
- Ellen Madigan, aged 29, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Zealandia" in 1879
- Michael Madigan, aged 25, a farm labourer, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Arethusa" in 1879
- Bernice Madigan (1899-2015), American supercentenarian, the oldest living resident of Massachusetts, she died aged 115 years, 163 days
- Edward Patrick "Slip" Madigan (1896-1966), American college football player at Notre Dame University
- Michael Madigan (b. 1942), American politician from Illinois, congressman
- Lisa Madigan (b. 1966), American politician from Illinois, Illinois state Attorney General
- Kathleen Madigan (b. 1965), American television comedian
- Edward Rell Madigan (1936-1994), American politician from Illinois, congressman and Secretary of Agriculture
- Amy Madigan (b. 1950), American actress
- Miss Margaret "Maggie" Madigan, aged 21, Irish Third Class passenger from Askeaton, Limerick who sailed aboard the RMS Titanic and survived in the sinking in life boat 15
- Cecil Madigan (1889-1947), Australian explorer, geologist, and Rhodes Scholar
- Elvira Madigan (1867-1889), Danish ropedancer and trick rider, eponym of a film
- Read, Charles Anderson. The Cabinet of Irish Literature Selections from the Works of the Chief Poets, Orators and Prose Writers of Ireland 4 Volumes. London: Blackie and Son, 1884. Print.
- Grehan, Ida. Dictionary of Irish Family Names. Boulder: Roberts Rinehart, 1997. Print. (ISBN 1-57098-137-X).
- Kennedy, Patrick. Kennedy's Book of Arms. Canterbury: Achievements, 1967. Print.
- Tepper, Michael Ed & Elizabeth P. Bentley Transcriber. Passenger Arrivals at the Port of Philadelphia 1800-1819. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1986. Print.
- Matthews, John. Matthews' American Armoury and Blue Book. London: John Matthews, 1911. Print.
- Johnson, Daniel F. Irish Emigration to New England Through the Port of Saint John, New Brunswick Canada 1841-1849. Baltimore, Maryland: Clearfield, 1996. Print.
- O'Hart, John. Irish Pedigress 5th Edition in 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1976. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0737-4).
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
- Woulfe, Rev. Patrick. Irish Names and Surnames Collected and Edited with Explanatory and Historical Notes. Kansas City: Genealogical Foundation, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-940134-403).
- Browning, Charles H. Americans of Royal Descent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
The Madigan Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Madigan Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 4 January 2015 at 15:31.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!