This Lochrie surname is an Anglicized form of the Gaelic "Luachra," derived from the word "luachair," which means "rushes" or "sedges."
Early Origins of the Lochrie family
The surname Lochrie was first found in Armagh (Irish: Ard Mhacha) located in the province of Ulster
in present day Northern Ireland
, where they held a family seat
as ecclesiastics in west Armagh and Antrim. Irish history was greatly influenced by the Norman invasion
of 1172, and thereafter, the surnames of Irish Gaelic clanns and septs and many of the Norman families became almost indistinguishable. This family name was found later in Tyrone
Early History of the Lochrie family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Lochrie research.Another 95 words (7 lines of text) covering the years 1416, 1576, 1612, and 1652 are included under the topic Early Lochrie History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Lochrie Spelling Variations
of this family name include: Loughran, Lochrane, Lochraine, Lutheran, Lochran, Laugheran, Loughrey, O'Loughran, O'Lochrane, O'Lochran, O'Loughraine and many more.
Early Notables of the Lochrie family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Lochrie Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Lochrie family to the New World and Oceana
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Lochrie Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- James Lochrie, aged 44, who landed in America, in 1894
- I. Lochrie, aged 46, who settled in America, in 1896
Lochrie Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- John Lochrie, aged 23, who emigrated to the United States from Dumbarton, in 1900
- William Lochrie, aged 50, who landed in America from Mellburn, Scotland, in 1911
- Jane Lochrie, aged 8, who settled in America from Johnstone, Scotland, in 1913
- Neil Lochrie, aged 58, who landed in America, in 1913
- William Lochrie, aged 3, who emigrated to the United States from Larkhall, Scotland, in 1913
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Lochrie (post 1700)
- Alexandra Lochrie, American actress, known for Cash 'n' Paisa (2012)
- Elizabeth Davey Lochrie (1890-1981), American painter, sculptor and muralist
- Richard J. Lochrie, American president and co-founder of Lochrie & Associates, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
- Jaz Lochrie, Scottish bass guitarist