Today's generation of the Leodegario family bears a name that was brought to England
by the wave of emigration that was started by the Norman Conquest
of 1066. It comes from the name of the famous St. Leger.
Early Origins of the Leodegario family
The surname Leodegario was first found in Kent
where Robert St. Leger was granted estates at Ulcombe and became Lord of the Manor of Ulcombe. "Ulcombe Place and manor belonged to the family of St. Leger, of whom Sir Robert, of an ancient house in Normandy
, is said to have supported the Conqueror with his hand when landing on the Sussex
coast. The present edifice, [(church)] which is in the later English style, contains some very old monuments to the St. Legers." CITATION[CLOSE]
Lewis, Samuel, A Topographical Dictionary of England. Institute of Historical Research, 1848, Print.
He also held estates at Bexhill in Sussex
. Another source claims that Robert actually assisted William, Duke of Normandy
from the boat which brought him to England
in 1066 prior to the Battle of Hastings.
Early History of the Leodegario family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Leodegario research.Another 220 words (16 lines of text) covering the years 1767, 1540, 1631, 1678, 1600, 1618, 1619, 1627, 1600, 1665, 1621, 1650 and 1665 are included under the topic Early Leodegario History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Leodegario Spelling Variations
Norman surnames are characterized by a multitude of spelling variations
. The frequent changes in surnames are largely due to the fact that the Old and Middle English languages lacked definite spelling rules. The introduction of Norman French to England
, as well as the official court languages of Latin and French, also had pronounced influences on the spelling of surnames. Since medieval scribes and church officials recorded names as they sounded, rather than adhering to any specific spelling rules, it was common to find the same individual referred to with different spellings. The name has been spelled St.Leger, Leger, Legere, Sallinger, Sellinger, St. Ledger and many more.
Early Notables of the Leodegario family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Leodegario Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Leodegario family to Ireland
Some of the Leodegario family moved to Ireland
, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt.Another 249 words (18 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Leodegario family to the New World and Oceana
Many English families emigrated to North American colonies in order to escape the political chaos in Britain at this time. Unfortunately, many English families made the trip to the New World under extremely harsh conditions. Overcrowding on the ships caused the majority of the immigrants to arrive diseased, famished, and destitute from the long journey across the stormy Atlantic. Despite these hardships, many of the families prospered and went on to make invaluable contributions to the development of the cultures of the United States and Canada. Early North American immigration records have revealed a number of people bearing the name Leodegario or a variant listed above: John St. Ledger settled in Canada in 1841; William St. Leger settled in New Orleans in 1823.
The Leodegario Motto
The motto was originally a war cry or slogan. Mottoes first began to be shown with arms in the 14th and 15th centuries, but were not in general use until the 17th century. Thus the oldest coats of arms generally do not include a motto. Mottoes seldom form part of the grant of arms: Under most heraldic authorities, a motto is an optional component of the coat of arms, and can be added to or changed at will; many families have chosen not to display a motto.
Motto: Haut et bon
Motto Translation: High and good.
Leodegario Family Crest Products
- ^ Lewis, Samuel, A Topographical Dictionary of England. Institute of Historical Research, 1848, Print.