Kittleson History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The roots of the Kittleson family name are in ancient Scotland with the Viking settlers. Kittleson was derived from the old Norse personal name of Ketill or from the old Danish personal name of Ketil.
Early Origins of the Kittleson family
The surname Kittleson was first found in Perthshire (Gaelic: Siorrachd Pheairt) former county in the present day Council Area of Perth and Kinross, located in central Scotland.
However, one of the first records of the family was found further south in England where William Ketel ( fl. 1100) was a medieval English writer and clergyman. Little is known of him other than he wrote a work containing miraculous stories about Saint John of Beverley. He is presumed to have been clerk of Beverley Minster at that time.
Important Dates for the Kittleson family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Kittleson research. Another 79 words (6 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Kittleson History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Kittleson Spelling Variations
Sound and intuition were the main things that scribes in the Middle Ages relied on when spelling and translating names. Since those factors varied, so did the spelling of the names. Spelling variations of the name Kittleson include Kettle, Ketley, Kettles, Ketill and others.
Early Notables of the Kittleson family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Kittleson Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Kittleson family to Ireland
Some of the Kittleson family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. More information about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Kittleson migration to the United States
In North America, the monarchy was thousands of miles away and Scots were free to settle on their own land and practice their own beliefs. The American War of Independence provided an opportunity for these settlers to pay back the English monarchy and forge a new nation. Recently, this heritage has survived through North American highland games and Clan societies. Early North American immigration and passenger lists have revealed a number of people bearing the name Kittleson or a variant listed above:
Typical Kittleson Emigration from the United Kingdom to North America
Kittleson Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Halvor Kittleson, who landed in Illinois in 1860 
Contemporary Notables of the name Kittleson (post 1700)
- Dr. Mark J. Kittleson, American Professor of Health Education at Southern Illinois University
- Isaac Milo Kittleson (1874-1958), American politician, Mayor of Madison, Wisconsin (1920-1925)
- Drew Kittleson (b. 1989), American professional golfer from Scottsdale, Arizona
You May Also Like
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)