Kimmons History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
It is generally believed that this name comes from a Breton personal name, derived from element "cam," meaning "bent," or "crooked;" or perhaps from the herb called "cummin" (cumin). Or the name may have come from the place name Comines, in Flanders, Northern France.
Early Origins of the Kimmons family
The surname Kimmons was first found in Norfolk, Lincolnshire, and Yorkshire in England, in the 12th and 13th centuries. Robert of Comyn (Comines,) a noble who accompanied William the Conqueror in 1066 and was made Earl of Northumberland. Today Commins is a small hamlet in Denbighshire and Commins Coch is a small village in the county of Powys, Wales.
Saint Comman of Ross-Commain ( fl. 550), was son of Faelchu and "descendant of Fiacha Araidhe, of the family of Rudhraighe, and race of Ir, king of Ulster, A.D. 236." 
Early History of the Kimmons family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Kimmons research. Another 487 words (35 lines of text) covering the years 1124, 1153, 1133, 1302, 1296, 1306, 1289, 1667, 1740, 1688, 1751, 1747, 1751 and are included under the topic Early Kimmons History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Kimmons Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Cumin, Cumins, Cumine, Cummin, Cummins, Cummine, Comings, Comins, Commin and many more.
Early Notables of the Kimmons family (pre 1700)
Outstanding amongst the family at this time was Alexander Comyn (d. 1289), Earl of Buchan, a Scotish-Norman nobleman, son of William Comyn and Marjory, Countess of Buchan, the heiress of the last native Scottish Mormaer of Buchan, Fergus...
Another 37 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Kimmons Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Kimmons family to Ireland
Some of the Kimmons family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt.
Another 60 words (4 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Kimmons migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Kimmons Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Alexander Kimmons, who arrived in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1863 
Contemporary Notables of the name Kimmons (post 1700) +
- General John Frederick "Jeff" Kimmons, retired American Lieutenant General, former 3rd Army Deputy Chief of Staff, G-2, and the 11th Commanding General, United States Army Intelligence and Security Command
- Rob Kimmons (b. 1981), American mixed martial artist
- David "Trell" Kimmons (b. 1985), American gold and two-time silver medalist sprinter
Related Stories +
- ^ Smith, George (ed), Dictionary of National Biography. London: Smith, Elder & Co., 1885-1900. Print
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)