Josephs History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Josephs is a name of Anglo-Saxon origin and came from the baptismal name for the son of Joseph.
Early Origins of the Josephs family
The surname Josephs was first found in Hampshire, where they held a family seat from ancient times.
Important Dates for the Josephs family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Josephs research. Another 90 words (6 lines of text) covering the years 1191, 1205, 1273, 1754, 1764 and 1846 are included under the topic Early Josephs History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Josephs Spelling Variations
Spelling variations in names were a common occurrence before English spelling was standardized a few hundred years ago. In the Middle Ages, even the literate spelled their names differently as the English language incorporated elements of French, Latin, and other European languages. Many variations of the name Josephs have been found, including Joseph, Josephs, Josephson and others.
Early Notables of the Josephs family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Josephs Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Josephs family to Ireland
Some of the Josephs family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt.
Another 31 words (2 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Josephs migration to the United States
Families began migrating abroad in enormous numbers because of the political and religious discontent in England. Often faced with persecution and starvation in England, the possibilities of the New World attracted many English people. Although the ocean trips took many lives, those who did get to North America were instrumental in building the necessary groundwork for what would become for new powerful nations. Among the first immigrants of the name Josephs, or a variant listed above to cross the Atlantic and come to North America were :
Josephs Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Mietzie Josephs, who landed in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1791 
Josephs Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Antina Josephs, aged 1, who landed in New York, NY in 1850 
- E Josephs, who arrived in San Francisco, California in 1850 
- G Josephs, who landed in San Francisco, California in 1850 
- H Josephs, aged 9, who arrived in New York, NY in 1850 
- J L Josephs, aged 7, who landed in New York, NY in 1850 
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Josephs (post 1700)
- Samuel Josephs, American politician, Member of Pennsylvania State House of Representatives from Philadelphia County, 1862-74 
- Lauri Josephs, American Democrat politician, Alternate Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Texas, 1980 
You May Also Like
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, October 20) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html