Joe History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
Joe is an ancient Anglo-Saxon
surname that came from the baptismal name for the son of Joseph.
Early Origins of the Joe family
The surname Joe was first found in Hampshire
, where they held a family seat
from ancient times.
Early History of the Joe family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Joe research.Another 179 words (13 lines of text) covering the years 1191, 1205, 1273, 1754, 1764 and 1846 are included under the topic Early Joe History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Joe Spelling Variations
The English language only became standardized in the last few centuries; therefore, spelling variations
are common among early Anglo-Saxon
names. As the form of the English language changed, even the spelling of literate people's names evolved. Joe has been recorded under many different variations, including Joseph, Josephs, Josephson and others.
Early Notables of the Joe family (pre 1700)
Migration of the Joe family to Ireland
Some of the Joe family moved to Ireland
, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt.Another 51 words (4 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Joe family to the New World and Oceana
For many English families, the political and religious disarray that shrouded England
made the far away New World an attractive prospect. On cramped disease-ridden ships, thousands migrated to those British colonies that would eventually become Canada and the United States. Those hardy settlers that survived the journey often went on to make important contributions to the emerging nations in which they landed. Analysis of immigration records indicates that some of the first North American immigrants bore the name Joe or a variant listed above: one Joseph who sailed to Nantasket, Massachusetts in 1630; Tobias Joseph to South Carolina in 1741; Captain Joseph to Boston in 1768; Henry Joseph to America in 1772 and M. Joseph to San Francisco in 1851..
Contemporary Notables of the name Joe (post 1700)
- Joseph "Joe" Shuster Joe (1914-1992), Canadian comic book artist, best known for co-creating the DC Comics character Superman
- Kelly Joe Goodburn (b. 1962), former American NFL football punter for the Kansas City Chiefs (1987–1990) and the Washington Redskins (1990–1993), Super Bowl champion: (XXVI)
- Michael Joe Furlough, American actor and writer, known for Derman (2017), Professor Thompson (2016) and Lazarus (2018)
- Billy Joe DuPree (b. 1950), former professional American football tight end in the National Football League for the Dallas Cowboys
- Vice Admiral Sir Jeremy Joe Blackham KCB (b. 1943), British Royal Navy officer, Assistant Chief of the Naval Staff (1995–1997), Deputy Commander-in-Chief Fleet (1997–1999)
- Melvin Joe Daniels (1944-2015), American professional basketball player, two-time ABA Most Valuable Player and a seven-time ABA All-Star, inducted into the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame in 2012
- John Joe Callanan (1894-1970), Irish hurler for the Tipperary and Dublin senior teams
- Billy Joe Hobert (b. 1971), American former professional football quarterback, Rose Bowl MVP (1992)
- Smokin' Joe Kubek (1956-2015), American Texas blues electric guitarist, songwriter and performer
- Billy Joe Royal (1942-2015), American pop and country singer, perhaps best known for his song "Down in the Boondocks" in 1965
Joe Family Crest Products