100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
The Jeffries surname is a patronymic
name that comes from the personal names Geoffrey and Godfrey. These names appear in Old English as Geffrey and in Old French as Jefroi or Jeufroi. The surname Jeffries makes use of the patronymic suffix -son, which had superseded all other such suffixes in popularity by the 14th century, and was most common in the north of Britain. This suffix was sometimes abbreviated to -s.
The surname Jeffries was first found in Herefordshire
, where they held a family seat
from very ancient times, some say well before the Norman Conquest
and the arrival of Duke William at Hastings in 1066 A.D.
Although there are comparatively few Welsh surnames, they have a great many spelling variations. Variations of Welsh names began almost immediately after their acceptance within Welsh society. In the Middle Ages, it was up to priests and the few other people that recorded names in official documents to decide how to spell the names that they heard. Variations that occurred because of improper recording increased dramatically as the names were later transliterated into English. The Brythonic Celtic language of Wales, known by natives as Cymraeg, featured many highly inflected sounds that could not be properly captured by the English language. Spelling variations were, however, also carried out according to an individual's design: a branch loyalty within the family, a religious adherence, or even patriotic affiliations were all indicated by the particular variation of one's name. The spelling variations of the name Jeffries have included Jeffreys, Jeffereys, Jefferies, Jeffers, Jefferis, Jefferyes, Jefferys, Jeffries, Jeffry, Jeffs, Jefries and many more.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Jeffries research. Another 235 words (17 lines of text) covering the years 1645, 1689, 1610, 1685, 1643, 1613, 1703, 1674 and 1685 are included under the topic Early Jeffries History in all our PDF Extended History products
Another 111 words (8 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Jeffries Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
Some of the Jeffries family moved to Ireland
, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 101 words (7 lines of text) about their life in Ireland
is included in all our PDF Extended History products
began to emigrate to North America in the late 1800s and early 1900s in search of land, work, and freedom. Those that arrived helped shape the industry, commerce, and the cultural heritage of both Canada and the United States. The records regarding immigration and passenger show a number of people bearing the name Jeffries:
Jeffries Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Tho Jeffries, who arrived in Virginia in 1663
- Mary Jeffries, who arrived in Maryland in 1671
- Edward Jeffries, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1681
- Thomas Jeffries, who landed in Maryland in 1697-1698
Jeffries Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Charles Jeffries, who landed in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1737
Jeffries Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- James Jeffries, who landed in Washington County, Pennsylvania in 1831
- John Jeffries, who landed in Washington County, Pennsylvania in 1836
- William Jeffries, who arrived in Washington County, Pennsylvania in 1838
- Peter H Jeffries, who landed in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1847
Jeffries Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- Thomas Jeffryes/Jeffries, aged 22, a farmer, arrived in Quebec aboard the ship "Baltic Merchant" in 1815
- Isobella Jeffryes/Jeffries, aged 19, arrived in Quebec aboard the ship "Baltic Merchant" in 1815
- Mary Jeffryes/Jeffries, aged 1, arrived in Quebec aboard the ship "Baltic Merchant" in 1815
- Joseph Jeffryes/Jeffries, aged 20, a farmer, arrived in Quebec aboard the ship "Baltic Merchant" in 1815
Jeffries Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- John Jeffries, English convict from Berkshire, who was transported aboard the "Adamant" on March 16, 1821, settling in New South Wales, Australia
- John Henry Jeffries arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "City Of Adelaide" in 1839
- Susannah Jeffries arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "City Of Adelaide" in 1839
- John Jeffries, aged 26, arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Lysander" in 1851
- Harriet Jeffries, aged 33, arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Lysander" in 1851
Jeffries Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- Thomas Jeffries landed in Wellington, New Zealand in 1840
- John Jeffries, aged 17, arrived in Nelson aboard the ship "Phoebe Dunbar" in 1841850
- William Jeffries, aged 24, a carpenter, arrived in Nelson aboard the ship "London" in 1842
- Harriet Jeffries, aged 25, arrived in Nelson aboard the ship "London" in 1842
- William James Jeffries, aged 4, arrived in Nelson aboard the ship "London" in 1842
- Irvine Franklin Jeffries (1905-1982), American infielder in Major League Baseball
- Adam Lamar Jeffries (b. 1974), American actor
- Rich Jeffries (b. 1949), former American television announcer
- Fran Jeffries (b. 1937), American singer, actress, and model
- Michael Jeffries (b. 1962), retired American soccer player and current soccer coach
- Lang Jeffries (1930-1987), Canadian-American actor of television and film
- Jared Scott Carter Jeffries (b. 1981), American professional basketball player
- Herbert "Herb" Jeffries (b. 1913), American jazz and popular singer and actor
- James Jeffries, Lieutenant Governor of Louisiana from 1888–1892
- Edward J. Jeffries Jr. (1900-1950), American politician, councilman, and mayor of Detroit
- Marmaduke Norfleet Jeffreys by Louise Jeffreys Andrew.
- Morgan, T. J. Morgan and Prys Morgan. Welsh Surnames. Cardiff: University of Wales Press, 1985. Print.
- Evans, Gwynfor. Wales: A History: 2000 Years of Welsh History. New York: Barnes and Noble, 1996. Print. (ISBN 0-76070-120-2).
- Skordas, Guest. Ed. The Early Settlers of Maryland an Index to Names or Immigrants Complied from Records of Land Patents 1633-1680 in the Hall of Records Annapolis, Maryland. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1968. Print.
- Matthews, John. Matthews' American Armoury and Blue Book. London: John Matthews, 1911. Print.
- Rowlands, John, John Rowlands and Sheila Rowlands. Welsh Family History: A Guide to Research. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1999. Print. (ISBN 080631620).
- Crispin, M. Jackson and Leonce Mary. Falaise Roll Recording Prominent Companions of William Duke of Normandy at the Conquest of England. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Burke's Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Landed Gentry: Including American Families with British Ancestry. (2 Volumes). London: Burke Publishing, 1939. Print.
- Burke, John Bernard Ed. The Roll of Battle Abbey. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Bullock, L.G. Historical Map of England and Wales. Edinburgh: Bartholomew and Son, 1971. Print.
- Papworth, J.W and A.W Morant. Ordinary of British Armorials. London: T.Richards, 1874. Print.
The Jeffries Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Jeffries Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 21 March 2016 at 16:01.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!