Hyckes History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
The Anglo-Saxon name Hyckes comes from the son of Richard.  In Old English, patronyms were formed by adding a variety of suffixes to personal names, which changed over time and from place to place. For example, after the Norman Conquest, sunu and sune, which meant son, were the most common patronymic suffixes. In the 12th and 13th centuries, the most common patronymic names included the word filius, which meant son. By the 14th century, the suffix son had replaced these earlier versions. Surnames that were formed with filius or son were more common in the north of England and it was here that the number of individuals without surnames was greatest at this time.
Early Origins of the Hyckes family
The surname Hyckes was first found in Yorkshire, where one of the first records of the name was found as a forename as Hikke de Sauteby who was listed there in the Hundredorum Rolls of 1273.  "The chancel [of Low Leyton in Essex] contains some elegant monuments of the family of Hickes." 
Early English rolls provide us a glimpse of the spelling variations used through Medieval times. Today we typically need to look beyond the spellings of these entries and concentrate on the phonetic appreciation of the names. The Yorkshire Poll Tax Rolls of 1379 included: Hikke de Sauteby; Johanna Hickson; Henricas Hikson; Willelmus Hykson. 
Again in Yorkshire, Richard Hick was registered there in the Subsidy Rolls for 1302 and later, William Hickys was listed in the Subsidy Rolls for Warwickshire in 1332. 
Much farther to the south in the parish of St. Ewe in Cornwall, another branch of the family was found. "The manor of Tregain belonged formerly to an ancient family of the same name: in which place they resided until they removed to Golden in Probus; after which it was forfeited in the reign of Elizabeth. When the manor was dismembered, the barton became the property of Hicks, who possessed also the barton of Trevithick in this parish. At this latter place a mansion was erected by this family, in which they continued to reside until the death of John Hicks, Esquire, in 1734, in whom this branch of the family ended." 
Early History of the Hyckes family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Hyckes research. Another 81 words (6 lines of text) covering the years 1551, 1629, 1621, 1628, 1543, 1612, 1596, 1680, 1642, 1715 and are included under the topic Early Hyckes History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Hyckes Spelling Variations
Before the last few hundred years, the English language had no fast system of spelling rules. For that reason, spelling variations are commonly found in early Anglo-Saxon surnames. Over the years, many variations of the name Hyckes were recorded, including Hicks, Hickes, Hick, Hix and others.
Early Notables of the Hyckes family (pre 1700)
Notables of the family at this time include Baptist Hicks, 1st Viscount Campden (1551-1629), an English textile merchant and politician who sat in the House of Commons between 1621 and 1628; Michael Hicks (1543-1612), an English courtier and politician...
Migration of the Hyckes family to Ireland
Some of the Hyckes family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt.
Migration of the Hyckes family
To escape oppression and starvation at that time, many English families left for the "open frontiers" of the New World with all its perceived opportunities. In droves people migrated to the many British colonies, those in North America in particular, paying high rates for passages in cramped, unsafe ships. Although many of the settlers did not make the long passage alive, those who did see the shores of North America perceived great opportunities before them. Many of the families that came from England went on to make essential contributions to the emerging nations of Canada and the United States. Research into various historical records revealed some of first members of the Hyckes family emigrate to North America: Robert Hicks, who arrived in Plymouth in 1621; Margaret Hicks, who arrived in Plymouth in 1623; James Hicks, who came to Virginia in 1637; Samuel Hicks, who settled in Virginia in 1637.
The motto was originally a war cry or slogan. Mottoes first began to be shown with arms in the 14th and 15th centuries, but were not in general use until the 17th century. Thus the oldest coats of arms generally do not include a motto. Mottoes seldom form part of the grant of arms: Under most heraldic authorities, a motto is an optional component of the coat of arms, and can be added to or changed at will; many families have chosen not to display a motto.
Motto: Tout en bon heure
Motto Translation: All in good time.