on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
The name Hersey was brought to England
in the great wave of migration following the Norman Conquest
of 1066. The Hersey family lived in the place named Hercé, which is in the Mayenne region of France.
The surname Hersey was first found in Nottinghamshire
, where Ivo Fitz Hercie was Viscount of Nottingham
before 1130. Hugue d'Hericy, the first ancestor of this name, was recorded as "Companion in Arms of the Conqueror" at the Battle of Hastings in the Battle Abbey Rolls, establishing one of the oldest and most distinguished North Country families.
Endless spelling variations are a prevailing characteristic of Norman surnames. Old and Middle English lacked any definite spelling rules, and the introduction of Norman French added an unfamiliar ingredient to the English linguistic stew. French and Latin, the languages of the court, also influenced spellings. Finally, Medieval scribes generally spelled words according to how they sounded, so one person was often referred to by different spellings in different documents. The name has been spelled Hercy, Herci, Hearsey, Hearse, Hersee, Hersey, Hershey, Herse, Hershee, Hershie and many more.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Hersey research. Another 327 words (23 lines of text) covering the years 1135, 1216, 1272, and 1273 are included under the topic Early Hersey History in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Another 25 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Hersey Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
To escape the political and religious persecution within England
at the time, many English families left for the various British colonies abroad. The voyage was extremely difficult, though, and the cramped, dank ships caused many to arrive in the New World diseased and starving. But for those who made it, the trip was most often worth it. Many of the families who arrived went on to make valuable contributions to the emerging nations of Canada and the United States. An inquiry into the early roots of North American families reveals a number of immigrants bearing the name Hersey or a variant listed above:
Hersey Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Richard Hersey, who sailed to Virginia in 1635
- Richard Hersey, aged 22, arrived in Virginia in 1635
- William Hersey, who landed in Hingham, Massachusetts in 1635
Hersey Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Ezekl Hersey landed in Boston, Massachusetts in 1764
Hersey Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Peter Hersey to Boston in 1849
- William Hersey came to San Francisco, California in 1852
Hersey Settlers in Canada in the 18th Century
- David Hersey settled in Nova Scotia in 1763
Hersey Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- James Hersey arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Somersetshire" in 1839
- Ann Hersey arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Somersetshire" in 1839
- Caroline Hersey arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Somersetshire" in 1839
- Emma Hersey arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Somersetshire" in 1839
- Louisa Hersey arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Somersetshire" in 1839
Hersey Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- James Hersey arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Gertrude" in 1863
- Ira Greenlief Hersey (1858-1943), American politician, Prohibition Candidate for Governor of Maine, 1886; Member of Maine State House of Representatives, 1909-12; Member of Maine State Senate, 1913-16
- H. Hersey, American Democrat politician, Alternate Delegate to Democratic National Convention from California, 1972
- F. L. Hersey, American politician, Member of West Virginia State House of Delegates from Cabell County, 1907
- Earl Hersey, American Republican politician, Candidate in primary for Michigan State House of Representatives 27th District, 1978
- Dorothy H. Hersey, American Democrat politician, Alternate Delegate to Democratic National Convention from California, 1972
- Charles H. Hersey, American politician, Member of New Hampshire State Senate 13th District, 1887-88
- C. B. Hersey, American politician, Member of South Dakota State House of Representatives 36th District, 1913-16
- James Hersey, American politician, Postmaster at Manchester, New Hampshire, 1849-53
- Philo J. Hersey, American Republican politician, Alternate Delegate to Republican National Convention from California, 1892
- R. F. Hersey, American politician, Member of Minnesota State Senate 22nd District, 1878
- Matthews, John. Matthews' American Armoury and Blue Book. London: John Matthews, 1911. Print.
- Bradford, William. History of Plymouth Plantation 1620-1647 Edited by Samuel Eliot Morrison 2 Volumes. New York: Russell and Russell, 1968. Print.
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
- Bullock, L.G. Historical Map of England and Wales. Edinburgh: Bartholomew and Son, 1971. Print.
- Filby, P. William and Mary K Meyer. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index in Four Volumes. Detroit: Gale Research, 1985. Print. (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8).
- Best, Hugh. Debrett's Texas Peerage. New York: Coward-McCann, 1983. Print. (ISBN 069811244X).
- Shirley, Evelyn Philip. Noble and Gentle Men of England Or Notes Touching The Arms and Descendants of the Ancient Knightley and Gentle Houses of England Arranged in their Respective Counties 3rd Edition. Westminster: John Bowyer Nichols and Sons, 1866. Print.
- Fairbairn. Fairbain's book of Crests of the Families of Great Britain and Ireland, 4th Edition 2 volumes in one. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1968. Print.
- Shaw, William A. Knights of England A Complete Record from the Earliest Time to the Present Day of the Knights of all the Orders of Chivalry in England, Scotland, Ireland and Knights Bachelors 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 080630443X).
- Holt, J.C. Ed. Domesday Studies. Woodbridge: Boydell, 1987. Print. (ISBN 0-85115-477-8).
The Hersey Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Hersey Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 30 May 2016 at 13:20.
on orders of $85 or more