name Henthorn comes from when the family resided in either of the settlements called Henton in the counties of Oxfordshire
. The surname Henthorn belongs to the large category of Anglo-Saxon habitation
names, which are derived from pre-existing names for towns, villages, parishes, or farmsteads.
Early Origins of the Henthorn family
The surname Henthorn was first found in Oxfordshire
, where evidence suggests they held a family seat
from before the Norman Conquest
Early History of the Henthorn family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Henthorn research.Another 114 words (8 lines of text) covering the years 1086 and 1273 are included under the topic Early Henthorn History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Henthorn Spelling Variations
Before English spelling was standardized a few hundred
years ago, spelling variations
of names were a common occurrence. Elements of Latin, French and other languages became incorporated into English through the Middle Ages, and name spellings changed even among the literate. The variations of the surname Henthorn include Henton, Henston, Hennton, Hentone, Heanton and others.
Early Notables of the Henthorn family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Henthorn Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Henthorn family to the New World and Oceana
A great wave of immigration to the New World was the result of the enormous political and religious disarray that struck England
at that time. Families left for the New World in extremely large numbers. The long journey was the end of many immigrants and many more arrived sick and starving. Still, those who made it were rewarded with an opportunity far greater than they had known at home in England
. These emigrant families went on to make significant contributions to these emerging colonies in which they settled. Some of the first North American settlers carried this name or one of its variants: Elias Henton, who sailed to Virginia in 1624; as did John Henton in 1652; Thomas Henton in 1655; Thomas Henton in 1658; Joane Henton in 1668 and Christopher Henton, in 1672..
Contemporary Notables of the name Henthorn (post 1700)
- Charles B. Henthorn, American politician, Representative from Ohio 17th District, 1904 CITATION[CLOSE]
The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2016, January 7) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html
- Karen Henthorn (b. 1963), British character actress, best known for her roles as Teresa Bryant in the long-running British soap opera Coronation Street
- James Henthorn Todd (1805-1869), Irish scholar and Regius Professor of Hebrew in the University of Dublin, the eldest son of Charles Hawkes Todd, Professor of Surgery at the Royal College of Surgeons, Ireland
- Abraham Henthorn Stott Sr. (1822-1904), English founder of A H Stott and sons, an architectural practice in Greater Manchester
Henthorn Family Crest Products
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2016, January 7) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html