Hawert History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
The history of the name Hawert dates back to the ancient Anglo-Saxon culture of Britain. It is derived from a member of the family who worked as a person who was in charge of protecting an enclosed forest from damage by vandals, animals, and poachers. The name was originally derived from the Old English haye, which meant enclosure.  Another source notes the name as an occupational name as in " 'the hayward,' a keeper of cattle, literally 'hedge-watcher'". 
"The duties of the hayward were of a varied nature. His chief task seems to have been to guard the cattle at pasture; but he also protected the crops from thieves, trimmed the hedges, etc. In old poems he is generally represented as carrying a horn." 
And to underscore the Saxon heritage, one learned source bluntly says "there is nothing Norman in this name." 
Early Origins of the Hawert family
The surname Hawert was first found in Lancashire at Heywood, a town and chapelry, in the township of Heap, parish and union of Bury, hundred of Salford. "Heywood, in the Saxon, denotes the site of a wood in a field, or a wood surrounded by fields; a family of the same name resided here for many generations. "  Heywood Hall was long the residence of the ancestors of the baronet's family. 
One source notes "the son of John, the eldest son of William de Wiggenshall, who took the sir-name of Heyward, Hauuard, or Howard; and was the first of this Family of that Sir-name, which, as I take it, he took from the office of Heyward there." 
The first record of the family was found in the Domesday Book of 1086 when Hauuart, an early spelling of the family name was listed in Yorkshire. 
Years later, Haward de Wihton was listed in the Pipe Rolls of Norfolk in 1166 and later again, William, Stephen Haward was listed in the Subsidy Rolls for Cheshire in 1332. 
As an occupational name, early records were scattered as the Hundredorum Rolls of 1273 list: Adam le Hayward in Devon; Roger le Hayward in Buckinghamshire; and Alicia le Heyward in Huntingdonshire.
The Yorkshire Poll Tax Rolls of 1379 list Robertus Hayward and Magota Hayward. 
Early History of the Hawert family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Hawert research. Another 138 words (10 lines of text) covering the years 1497, 1580, 1570, 1641, 1564, 1627, 1497, 1580, 1570, 1641, 1630, 1702, 1693, 1756, 1746, 1809 and 1776 are included under the topic Early Hawert History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Hawert Spelling Variations
Only recently has spelling become standardized in the English language. As the English language evolved in the Middle Ages, the spelling of names changed also. The name Hawert has undergone many spelling variations, including Hayward, Heyward, Haward, Haywood, Heywood and others.
Early Notables of the Hawert family (pre 1700)
Distinguished members of the family include Sir John Hayward (c. 1564-1627), a noted Elizabethan historian, lawyer and politician, born near Felixstowe, Suffolk; John Heywood (1497?-1580), an English poet, friend of Sir Thomas More, and a court musician and entertainer for Henry VII, Edward VI, and Queen Mary; Thomas Heywood (c.1570-1641), an English dramatist best known for "A Woman Killed with...
Migration of the Hawert family
To escape the unstable social climate in England of this time, many families boarded ships for the New World with the hope of finding land, opportunity, and greater religious and political freedom. Although the voyages were expensive, crowded, and difficult, those families that arrived often found greater opportunities and freedoms than they could have experienced at home. Many of those families went on to make significant contributions to the rapidly developing colonies in which they settled. Early North American records indicate many people bearing the name Hawert were among those contributors: Hugh Haward settled in Virginia in 1624 with his wife Susan; Thomas Hayward settled in New England in 1634 with his wife Susannah and five children; Samuel Hayward settled in New England in 1687.