Harkey History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Harkey is an ancient Viking-Scottish name derived from Henry. Further research revealed that the name is derived from the diminutive Harry; it is a double diminutive of Harry in the form Har-kin.
Early Origins of the Harkey family
The surname Harkey was first found in Norfolk, where they held a family seat from very ancient times, some say well before the Norman Conquest and the arrival of Duke William at Hastings in 1066 A.D.
Important Dates for the Harkey family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Harkey research. Another 69 words (5 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Harkey History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Harkey Spelling Variations
Scottish names from the Middle Ages vary enormously in their spellings. This is a result of the fact that there were no universal standards like dictionaries for scribes to judge by. The recorded spelling variations of the name Harkey include Harkin, Harken, Harkins, Hacon, Hakon, Haken and others.
Early Notables of the Harkey family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Harkey Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Harkey family to Ireland
Some of the Harkey family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt.
Another 83 words (6 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Harkey family
Settlers found farms all along the eastern part of what would become the United States and Canada. They provided a base and a backbone that would strengthen two great nations in the making. In the 20th century, the ancestors of those brave Scots have rediscovered their heritage through highland games and Scottish historical societies. Early North American immigration records have revealed a number of people bearing the Scottish name Harkey or a variant listed above, including: Daniel, James, John, Patrick, William Harkin arrived in Philadelphia from about 1800 to 1870; Andrew, Daniel, Edward, James, John, Patrick and William Harkins arrived in Philadelphia between 1830 and 1870..
Contemporary Notables of the name Harkey (post 1700)
- Stephen Douglas "Steve" Harkey (b. 1949), former American NFL football running back
- Ira B. Harkey Jr. (1918-2006), American author, recipient of the Pulitzer Prize for Editorial Writing in 1963
- Bob Harkey (b. 1930), American former USAC Championship Car series driver
- Michael Anthony Harkey (b. 1966), American former Major League Baseball pitcher
- O. N. Harkey, American Republican politician, Alternate Delegate to Republican National Convention from Arkansas, 1912 
- Don Harkey, American politician, Representative from Texas 13th District, 1996 
You May Also Like
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, December 8) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html