on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
Where did the English Harden family come from? What is the English Harden family crest and coat of arms? When did the Harden family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Harden family history?As a surname, Harden is thought to be derived from the place named Harden in West Yorkshire. The place name in turn is derived from the Old English words "hara," or "hare," and "denu," or "valley."
Although the name, Harden, appeared in many references, from time to time, the surname was shown with the spellings Harden, Hardene, Hardin, Hardon and others.
First found in Roxburghshire where one of the first records of the name was John de Hardene who rendered homage to King Edward I in 1296. Harden is a civil parish and village in West Yorkshire and an area north of Walsall.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Harden research. Another 186 words (13 lines of text) covering the years 1296 and 1512 are included under the topic Early Harden History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Harden Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the Harden family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 136 words (10 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products.
Gradually becoming disenchanted with life in Ireland many of these uprooted families sailed aboard the armada of sailing ships known as the "White Sails" which plied the stormy Atlantic. These overcrowded ships often arrived with only 60 to 70% of their original passenger list, many dying of cholera, typhoid, dysentery or small pox. In North America, some of the first immigrants who could be considered kinsmen of the Harden family name Harden, or who bore a variation of the surname were
Harden Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Thomas Harden settled in St. Christopher in 1635
- Ja Harden, who arrived in Virginia in 1646
- John Harden settled in Nevis in 1654
- Robert Harden, who arrived in Maryland in 1667
Harden Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Wm Harden, who landed in Virginia in 1715
- Patrick Harden, who arrived in Boston, Massachusetts in 1764
Harden Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Elnr Harden, who arrived in America in 1805
- William Harden, aged 58, arrived in New York in 1812
- George Harden, who landed in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1849
- Alexander Harden, who landed in Mobile, Ala in 1850
- Nathaniel P Harden, who arrived in San Francisco, California in 1850
Harden Settlers in Canada in the 18th Century
- Ms. Mary Harden U.E. who settled in Saint John, New Brunswick c. 1784
Harden Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- James Harden, aged 26, a shepherd, arrived in South Australia in 1849 aboard the ship "Ascendant"
- James Harden arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Ascendant" in 1849
- Patrick Harden, aged 22, a labourer, arrived in South Australia in 1859 aboard the ship "Clara"
Harden Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- James Harden arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Aloe" in 1863
- Elizabeth Harden arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Aloe" in 1863
- Marcia Gay Harden (b. 1959), American Academy Award winning, Tony Award winning actress
- Mary M. Harden, American Democrat politician, Alternate Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Michigan, 1960; Candidate for U.S. Representative from Michigan 8th District, 1960
- Mrs. N. C. Harden, American Republican politician, Member of West Virginia Republican State Executive Committee, 1937
- Oliver Harden, American Democrat politician, Candidate in primary for Michigan State Senate 3rd District, 1978
- Preston L. Harden, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Georgia, 2008
- Sonia Esther Harden, American Libertarian politician, Candidate for U.S. Representative from California 10th District, 2002
- T. H. Harden Jr., American Republican politician, Chair of Roane County Republican Party, 1969-73
- Terry Thomas Harden, American Democrat politician, Candidate for West Virginia State House of Delegates 35th District, 1974
- Thomas C. Harden, American Democrat politician, Member of New York State Senate 7th District, 1909-12
- William S. Harden (b. 1866), American Republican politician, Member of Missouri State House of Representatives from Gentry County, 1921-22
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
- Virkus, Frederick A. Ed. Immigrant Ancestors A List of 2,500 Immigrants to America Before 1750. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1964. Print.
- Burke, Sir Bernard. General Armory Of England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales. Ramsbury: Heraldry Today. Print.
- Hinde, Thomas Ed. The Domesday Book England's Heritage Then and Now. Surrey: Colour Library Books, 1995. Print. (ISBN 1-85833-440-3).
- Browning, Charles H. Americans of Royal Descent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at Galveston Texas 1896-1951. National Archives Washington DC. Print.
- Hitching, F.K and S. Hitching. References to English Surnames in 1601-1602. Walton On Thames: 1910. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0181-3).
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Peerage and Baronetage, The Privy Council, Knightage and Compainonage. London: Burke Publishing, 1921. Print.
- MacAulay, Thomas Babington. History of England from the Accession of James the Second 4 volumes. New York: Harper and Brothers, 1879. Print.
- Egle, William Henry. Pennsylvania Genealogies Scotch-Irish and German. Harrisburg: L.S. Hart, 1886. Print.
The Harden Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Harden Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 29 January 2016 at 08:55.
on orders of $85 or more