on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
Origins Available: Dutch, French, Irish, Scottish
Where did the Scottish Hamel family come from? What is the Scottish Hamel family crest and coat of arms? When did the Hamel family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Hamel family history?From the historical and enchanting region of Scotland emerged a multitude of noble families, including the distinguished Hamel family. Originally, the Scottish people were known only by a single name. The process by which hereditary surnames were adopted in Scotland is extremely interesting. Surnames evolved during the Middle Ages when people began to assume an extra name to avoid confusion and to further identify themselves. Often they adopted names that were derived from nicknames. Nickname surnames were derived from an eke-name, or added name. They usually reflected the physical characteristics or attributes of the first person that used the name. The name Hamel is a nickname type of surname Anglicized from the Gaelic name O'hAdhmaill, which means active.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Hamill, Hammill, Hamil, Hommill, Homill, Homil, Hammel, Hammell and many more.
First found in Normandy, where Robert, Ranulph, Turstan and Savaric Hamel were recorded in 1180. From Normandy they branched to England in the wake of the Conquest. Shortly after their arrival in England members of the family moved to Scotland, and throughout the following centuries branches of this family were to remain in France as well as in their new homelands.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Hamel research. Another 342 words (24 lines of text) covering the years 1143, 1194, 1206, 1214, 1379, 1418, and 1497 are included under the topic Early Hamel History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Hamel Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the Hamel family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 125 words (9 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Hamel Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Christopher Hamel settled in Charles Town [Charleston], South Carolina in 1764
- Henry Jacob and Jon Hamel settled in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania between 1764 and 1866
- Christopher Hamel also settled in Charles Town in 1764
Hamel Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Louis Francois Hamel, who landed in Texas in 1835
- Jacob Hamel, aged 22, landed in Missouri in 1847
- Juan Hamel, aged 40, arrived in New Orleans, La in 1849
- Seligmann Hamel, aged 28, arrived in New York, NY in 1849
- Mary Du Hamel, who arrived in Utah in 1851 with her children John, Julia, and Leah
Hamel Settlers in Canada in the 17th Century
- Charles, François, and Jean Hamel, who arrived in Quebec in 1656 from Normandy
- Catherine Lemaistre Hamel, who settled in Quebec in 1662
Hamel Settlers in Canada in the 18th Century
- Pierre Hamel, aged 31, landed in St Pierre and Miquelon in 1767
Hamel Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- J. Hamel arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "William Hyde" in 1849
- Matilda Hamel, aged 24, a servant, arrived in South Australia in 1855 aboard the ship "Royal Albert"
- Robert S. Hamel, American Republican politician, Candidate for Rhode Island State House of Representatives 68th District, 2002
- Robert F. Hamel, American Republican politician, Alternate Delegate to Republican National Convention from New Hampshire, 1964
- Kristen Hamel, American politician, Workers World Candidate for Michigan State House of Representatives 1st District, 1996
- Kenneth A. Hamel, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Ohio, 1956, 1960
- Henry C. Hamel, American politician, U.S. Consular Agent in Cabano, 1916
- George Hamel, American Democrat politician, Member of Maine State House of Representatives from Androscoggin County (1st), 1931-32
- Brian N. Hamel, American Republican politician, Candidate for U.S. Representative from Maine 2nd District, 2004
- Barbara J. Hamel, American politician, Workers World Candidate for Presidential Elector for Michigan, 1996
- Alfred J. Hamel, American politician, Candidate for U.S. Representative from New York 11th District, 1984, 1986, 1988
- Rock Hamel, American Republican politician, Candidate for New Hampshire State House of Representatives from Manchester 13th Ward, 1938
- Gunderman and Wullenjohn Cousins with Hampel (also Hamel) and Noll Families by Barbara Chandler Spray.
- Hammel-Laufer Families, 1600's to 1978 by Martha Mae Schmidt.
- Leeson, Francis L. Dictionary of British Peerages. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1986. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-1121-5).
- Scarlett, James D. Tartan The Highland Textile. London: Shepheard-Walwyn, 1990. Print. (ISBN 0-85683-120-4).
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Scotch Irish Pioneers In Ulster and America. Montana: Kessinger Publishing. Print.
- Shaw, William A. Knights of England A Complete Record from the Earliest Time to the Present Day of the Knights of all the Orders of Chivalry in England, Scotland, Ireland and Knights Bachelors 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 080630443X).
- Papworth, J.W and A.W Morant. Ordinary of British Armorials. London: T.Richards, 1874. Print.
- Markale, J. Celtic Civilization. London: Gordon & Cremonesi, 1976. Print.
- Bradford, William. History of Plymouth Plantation 1620-1647 Edited by Samuel Eliot Morrison 2 Volumes. New York: Russell and Russell, 1968. Print.
- Bloxham, Ben. Key to Parochial Registers of Scotland From Earliest Times Through 1854 2nd edition. Provo, UT: Stevenson's Genealogical Center, 1979. Print.
- Magnusson, Magnus. Chambers Biographical Dictionary 5th edition. Edinburgh: W & R Chambers, 1990. Print.
- Dorward, David. Scottish Surnames. Glasgow: Harper Collins, 1995. Print.
The Hamel Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Hamel Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 6 November 2015 at 10:22.
on orders of $85 or more