Grindall History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The lineage of the name Grindall begins with the Anglo-Saxon tribes in Britain. It is a result of when they lived at the chapelry of Grindall in the parish of Bridlington in the East Riding of Yorkshire.
Early Origins of the Grindall family
The surname Grindall was first found in Yorkshire where they held a family seat from very ancient times, some say well before the Norman Conquest and the arrival of Duke William at Hastings in 1066 A.D.
Important Dates for the Grindall family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Grindall research. Another 71 words (5 lines of text) covering the years 1519 and 1583 are included under the topic Early Grindall History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Grindall Spelling Variations
Only recently has spelling become standardized in the English language. As the English language evolved in the Middle Ages, the spelling of names changed also. The name Grindall has undergone many spelling variations, including Grindall, Grindal, Grindle, Grindell, Grindel and others.
Early Notables of the Grindall family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Grindall Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Grindall migration to the United States
To escape the unstable social climate in England of this time, many families boarded ships for the New World with the hope of finding land, opportunity, and greater religious and political freedom. Although the voyages were expensive, crowded, and difficult, those families that arrived often found greater opportunities and freedoms than they could have experienced at home. Many of those families went on to make significant contributions to the rapidly developing colonies in which they settled. Early North American records indicate many people bearing the name Grindall were among those contributors:
Grindall Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Edward Grindall who settle in Virginia in 1623
- Edward Grindall, who landed in Virginia in 1623 
- Edward Grindall, who settled in St. Christopher in 1635
- Thomas Grindall, who landed in Virginia in 1638 
- Thomas Grindall settle in Virginia in 1639
Contemporary Notables of the name Grindall (post 1700)
- Vice Admiral Sir Richard Grindall KCB (1750-1820), British Royal Navy officer during the American War of Independence, the French Revolutionary War and the Napoleonic Wars
You May Also Like
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)