Glasscock History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
The ancestors of the name Glasscock date back to the Anglo-Saxon tribes of Britain. The name is derived from when the Glasscock family lived in the township of Glascott, in the parish of Tamworth in the county of Warwickshire.
Early Origins of the Glasscock family
The surname Glasscock was first found in Warwickshire where they held a family seat from very ancient times, some say well before the Norman Conquest and the arrival of Duke William at Hastings in 1066 A.D.
Early History of the Glasscock family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Glasscock research. Another 74 words (5 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Glasscock History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Glasscock Spelling Variations
It is only in the last few hundred years that the English language has been standardized. For that reason, early Anglo-Saxon surnames like Glasscock are characterized by many spelling variations. As the English language changed and incorporated elements of other European languages, even literate people changed the spelling of their names. The variations of the name Glasscock include: Glascock, Glascott, Glascote, Glascoke, Glascok, Glasscock, Glasscoke and many more.
Early Notables of the Glasscock family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Glasscock Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Glasscock family to Ireland
Some of the Glasscock family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. More information about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Glasscock migration to Australia +
Emigration to Australia
followed the First Fleets
of convicts, tradespeople and early settlers. Early immigrants include:
Glasscock Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- Alfred Glasscock, who arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Ramillies" in 1849 
- James Glasscock, aged 38, a farm labourer, who arrived in South Australia in 1859 aboard the ship "Escort"
Contemporary Notables of the name Glasscock (post 1700) +
- Susanne Glasscock, American benefactor and philanthropist, eponym of the Susanne M. Glasscock School of Continuing Studies at Rice University
- J.D. Glasscock, American writer and director, known for Burning Cigarettes (2014), Blade and Blood (2014) and Shadows of the Moon (2014)
- Sarah Glasscock (b. 1952), American writer of fiction and education works
- Mary Miller Glasscock (1872-1925), American First Lady of West Virginia (1909-1913)
- William Ellsworth Glasscock (1862-1925), American Republican politician, 13th Governor of West Virginia from 1909 to 1913 
- Kenton Lee "Kent" Glasscock (b. 1952), American Republican politician from Manhattan, Kansas, Speaker of the House of the State of Kansas from 2001 to 2003 
- John Wesley "Jack" Glasscock (1859-1947), American Major League Baseball shortstop who played from 1879 to 1895; he won the 1890 batting title with a .336 average for the New York Giants
- George Washington Glasscock (1810-1868), Texas settler, legislator, and businessman, eponym of Glasscock County and Georgetown, Texas
- Kent Glasscock, American Republican politician, Mayor of Manhattan, Kansas, 1989-90; Speaker of the Kansas State House of Representatives, 2001-02 
- George Washington Glasscock (1810-1879), American politician, Member of Texas State Legislature 
- ... (Another 10 notables are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Related Stories +