100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
name Glascock comes from when the family resided in the township of Glascott, in the parish of Tamworth in the county of Warwickshire.
The surname Glascock was first found in Warwickshire
where they held a family seat
from very ancient times, some say well before the Norman Conquest
and the arrival of Duke William at Hastings in 1066 A.D.
Before English spelling was standardized a few hundred years ago, spelling variations of names were a common occurrence. Elements of Latin, French and other languages became incorporated into English through the Middle Ages, and name spellings changed even among the literate. The variations of the surname Glascock include Glascock, Glascott, Glascote, Glascoke, Glascok, Glasscock, Glasscoke and many more.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Glascock research. Another 301 words (22 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Glascock History in all our PDF Extended History products
More information is included under the topic Early Glascock Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
Some of the Glascock family moved to Ireland
, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 106 words (8 lines of text) about their life in Ireland
is included in all our PDF Extended History products
A great wave of immigration to the New World was the result of the enormous political and religious disarray that struck England
at that time. Families left for the New World in extremely large numbers. The long journey was the end of many immigrants and many more arrived sick and starving. Still, those who made it were rewarded with an opportunity far greater than they had known at home in England
. These emigrant families went on to make significant contributions to these emerging colonies in which they settled. Some of the first North American settlers carried this name or one of its variants:
Glascock Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Richard Glascock who settled in Virginia in 1635
- John Glascock, who came to Maryland in 1662
- Francis Glascock, who arrived in Maryland in 1662
- John Glascock, who landed in Maryland in 1662
- Richard Glascock, who arrived in Maryland in 1662
Glascock Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Stephens Glascock, who landed in Mobile County, Ala in 1835
- W H Glascock, who arrived in San Francisco, California in 1850
- E Glascock, who landed in San Francisco, California in 1851
Glascock Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Alfred Glascock, aged 28, who emigrated to America, in 1905
- C. C. Glascock, aged 37, who landed in America, in 1910
- Fred B Glascock, aged 23, who emigrated to the United States, in 1919
- Fred B. Glascock, aged 23, who emigrated to Danville, Illinois, in 1919
- Walter John H. Glascock, aged 16, who settled in America from Tring, England, in 1920
- William Nugent Glascock (1787-1847), American novelist
- John Raglan Glascock (1845-1913), American politician, U.S. Representative from California
- Kathryn Irene Glascock (1901-1923), American poet
- William Glascock (1730-1793), the seventh Chairman of the Executive Council of Georgia during the American Revolution
- Brian Glascock (b. 1948), American rock drummer for the Bee Gees, The Motels and many more
- Thomas Glascock Jr. (1790-1841), American politician, soldier and lawyer, eponym of Glascock County, Georgia
- John Glascock (1951-1979), American bass guitarist, backup vocalist the rock band Jethro Tull (1975 to 1979)
- Zieber, Eugene. Heraldry in America. Philadelphia: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Dunkling, Leslie. Dictionary of Surnames. Toronto: Collins, 1998. Print. (ISBN 0004720598).
- Shaw, William A. Knights of England A Complete Record from the Earliest Time to the Present Day of the Knights of all the Orders of Chivalry in England, Scotland, Ireland and Knights Bachelors 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 080630443X).
- Papworth, J.W and A.W Morant. Ordinary of British Armorials. London: T.Richards, 1874. Print.
- Foster, Joseph. Dictionary of Heraldry Feudal Coats of Arms and Pedigrees. London: Bracken Books, 1989. Print. (ISBN 1-85170-309-8).
- Fairbairn. Fairbain's book of Crests of the Families of Great Britain and Ireland, 4th Edition 2 volumes in one. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1968. Print.
- Burke, Sir Bernard. General Armory Of England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales. Ramsbury: Heraldry Today. Print.
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
- Burke, John Bernard Ed. The Roll of Battle Abbey. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Bede, The Venerable. Historia Ecclesiatica Gentis Anglorum (The Ecclesiastical History Of the English People). Available through Internet Medieval Sourcebook the Fordham University Centre for Medieval Studies. Print.
The Glascock Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Glascock Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 19 December 2012 at 22:27.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!