Early Origins of the Gilhooley family
The surname Gilhooley was first found in Leitrim
where they held a family seat
as a part of the O'Mulvey Clann. Irish history was greatly influenced by the Norman invasion
of 1172, and thereafter, the surnames of Irish Gaelic clanns and septs and many of the Norman families became almost indistinguishable. This family name was found later in Sligo
. They are believed to be descended through the O'Mulveys from Dermod Ruanach, chief of one of the 'Four Tribes of Tara' and a King of Ireland
in the 7th century.
Early History of the Gilhooley family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Gilhooley research.Another 66 words (5 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Gilhooley History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Gilhooley Spelling Variations
of this family name include: Gillooly, Gilhooly, Gillhooly, Gilluly, Gillulie, Gilooly, Gululie, Giluly, Giluley, Gulhouley, Gilhouly, Gollhooley and many more.
Early Notables of the Gilhooley family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Gilhooley Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Gilhooley family to the New World and Oceana
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Gilhooley Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Kate Gilhooley, aged 16, who settled in America from Finea, Ireland, in 1895
- John Gilhooley, aged 42, who emigrated to the United States from Londonderry, in 1897
Gilhooley Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Miss Gilhooley, aged 19, who emigrated to America, in 1903
- Peter Gilhooley, who landed in America from Ireland, in 1907
- Beatrice Gilhooley, aged 21, who settled in America from Glasgow, Scotland, in 1908
- Kate Gilhooley, aged 23, who landed in America from Drumkeeran, Ireland, in 1909
- Rosie Gilhooley, aged 20, who settled in America from Bally Longford, England, in 1913
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Gilhooley (post 1700)
- Frank Gilhooley (1892-1959), American Major League Baseball outfielder
- Edna Gilhooley (b. 1932), original name of Ellen Burstyn, American Primetime Emmy Award winning actress
- Ray Gilhooley (1887-1973), American racecar driver
- Maria Gilhooley, English singer and scupltor