Ells History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
The name Ells was spawned by the ancient Anglo-Saxon culture that ruled a majority of Britain. It comes from the baptismal name for the son of Ellis. which "has for the most part been formed from the scripture name Elias, which does not occur as an Anglo-Saxon name, but which was in use in France as early as the days of Charlemagne, as a baptismal designation, and after wards gave to several families." 
Early Origins of the Ells family
The surname Ells was first found in Yorkshire where the first record of the name was "William Alis, mentioned in the Domesday Book as the progenitor of the Ellises of Kiddal, county York, and Stoneacre, county Kent, from whom sprang Sir Archibald Ellys, a crusader who is said to have originated the cross and crescents so common to the Ellis coat-armour." 
Continuing the search through early records, we found Willelmus filius Helis listed in the Curia Regis Rolls of Somerset in 1212, William Elyas in the Pipe Rolls of Yorkshire in 1200, William Elis in the Pipe Rolls of Lancashire in 1202 and Andrew Elice in the Subsidy Rolls of Bedfordshire in 1309. 
The Hundredorum Rolls of 1273 had numerous entries including: Henry filius Elis in Cambridgeshire; Agnes uxor Elys in Cambridgeshire; Simon filius Elys in Bedfordshire; Nicholas filius Elye in Cambridgeshire and Roger filius Elye in Shropshire. 
Early History of the Ells family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Ells research. Another 64 words (5 lines of text) covering the years 1460, 1474, 1693, 1598, 1665, 1676, 1609, 1680, 1654, 1640, 1653, 1625, 1673, 1634, 1716, 1703, 1651, 1734, 1650, 1731, 1282, 1721, 1806, 1861, 1939, 1774, 1832, 1820, 1826 and are included under the topic Early Ells History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Ells Spelling Variations
Ells has been spelled many different ways. Before English spelling became standardized over the last few hundred years, spelling variations in names were a common occurrence. As the English language changed in the Middle Ages, absorbing pieces of Latin and French, as well as other languages, the spelling of people's names also changed considerably, even over a single lifetime. Many variations of the name Ells have been found, including Ellis, Elliss, Ellys, Elis, Eliss, Elliason and many more.
Early Notables of the Ells family (pre 1700)
Distinguished members of the family include Thomas Ellis, Mayor of Norwich from 1460 to 1474; Sir Francis Ellis, an administrator of the English East India Company, and President of Bengal in 1693; John Ellis (1598-1665), a Welsh Anglican clergyman and religious writer, born at Gwylan, Maentwrog, Merionethshire; Humphrey Ellis, D.D. (d. 1676), English Catholic divine; Sir William Ellis (1609-1680), an English lawyer, judge...
Another 63 words (4 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Ells Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Ells family to Ireland
Some of the Ells family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt.
Another 172 words (12 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Ells migration to the United States +
In an attempt to escape the chaos experienced in England, many English families boarded overcrowded and diseased ships sailing for the shores of North America and other British colonies. Those families hardy enough, and lucky enough, to make the passage intact were rewarded with land and a social environment less prone to religious and political persecution. Many of these families became important contributors to the young colonies in which they settled. Early immigration and passenger lists have documented some of the first Ellss to arrive on North American shores:
Ells Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- John Ells, who arrived in Dorchester, Massachusetts in 1629 
- Henry Ells, who arrived in Virginia in 1652 
Ells Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Robert Ells, who arrived in Virginia in 1700 
Ells Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- J E Ells, who landed in San Francisco, California in 1851 
- Josiah Ells, who landed in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1852 
Contemporary Notables of the name Ells (post 1700) +
- George W. Ells, American politician, Delegate to Iowa State Constitutional Convention 21st District, 1857 
Historic Events for the Ells family +
- Mr. Charles Corey Ells (1890-1917), Canadian resident from Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada who died in the explosion 
Related Stories +
- ^ Lowe, Mark Anthony, Patronymica Britannica, A Dictionary of Family Names of the United Kingdom. London: John Russel Smith, 1860. Print.
- ^ Reaney, P.H and R.M. Wilson, A Dictionary of English Surnames. London: Routledge, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-415-05737-X)
- ^ Bardsley, C.W, A Dictionary of English and Welsh Surnames: With Special American Instances. Wiltshire: Heraldry Today, 1901. Print. (ISBN 0-900455-44-6)
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2016, January 22) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html
- ^ Halifax Explosion Book of Remembrance | Maritime Museum of the Atlantic. (Retrieved 2014, June 23) . Retrieved from https://maritimemuseum.novascotia.ca/what-see-do/halifax-explosion/halifax-explosion-book-remembrance