on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the English Edge family come from? What is the English Edge family crest and coat of arms? When did the Edge family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Edge family history?The Edge name has descended through the generations from the ancient Anglo-Saxon culture. Their name comes from having lived near a prominent cliff or ridge; on a hillside.
Only recently has spelling become standardized in the English language. As the English language evolved in the Middle Ages, the spelling of names changed also. The name Edge has undergone many spelling variations, including Edge, Edges, Egge, Eadge, Eadges, Egg, Eage, Egges, Eggs and many more.
First found in Cheshire where they held a family seat from ancient times. The original Edge family probably lived on the side of a hill and were described by the Saxon word "ecg" which meant "edge." After the Norman invasion of England in 1066 the surname was usually spelled "Egge."
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Edge research. Another 131 words(9 lines of text) covering the years 126 and 1260 are included under the topic Early Edge History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Edge Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the Edge family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 129 words(9 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products.
To escape the unstable social climate in England of this time, many families boarded ships for the New World with the hope of finding land, opportunity, and greater religious and political freedom. Although the voyages were expensive, crowded, and difficult, those families that arrived often found greater opportunities and freedoms than they could have experienced at home. Many of those families went on to make significant contributions to the rapidly developing colonies in which they settled. Early North American records indicate many people bearing the name Edge were among those contributors:
Edge Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Robert Edge who settled in Boston in 1635
- Thomas Edge who brought his wife and family to Virginia in 1637
- Tho Edge, who landed in Virginia in 1637
- Henry Edge, who arrived in Virginia in 1658
- Richard Edge, who landed in Maryland in 1660-1664
Edge Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Wm Edge, who landed in Virginia in 1705
- John Edge, who landed in America in 1765
Edge Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- A Edge, who arrived in San Francisco, California in 1851
- C B Edge, who landed in San Francisco, California in 1851
- W L D Edge, who arrived in San Francisco, California in 1851
Edge Settlers in Canada in the 18th Century
- Mrs. Mary Edge U.E. who settled in Eastern District [Cornwall], Ontario c. 1784
Edge Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- William Edge, English convict from Kent, who was transported aboard the "Agamemnon" on April 22, 1820, settling in New South Wales, Australia
Edge Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- Jacob Edge, aged 33, a shoemaker, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Alma" in 1857
- Mary A. Edge, aged 35, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Alma" in 1857
- Hannah Edge, aged 6, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Alma" in 1857
- George Edge arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Rob Roy" in 1865
- William Edge arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Rob Roy" in 1865
- Claude "Butch" Lee Edge (b. 1956), American Major League Baseball player
- John T. Edge, American food writer and commentator
- Rosalie Barrow Edge (1877-1962), American environmentalist
- Walter Evans Edge (1873-1956), American politician, two-time Governor of New Jersey
- Andrew Edge (b. 1956), English guitarist and vocalist
- Arabella Edge, English writer and novelist, 2001 Commonwealth Writers Prize winner
- Graeme Charles Edge (b. 1941), English musician, drummer and a songwriter for the Moody Blues
- Lewis John Spencer Edge (b. 1987), English professional footballer
- Mr. Frederick William Edge (d. 1912), aged 37, English Deck Steward from Southampton, Hampshire who worked aboard the RMS Titanic and died in the sinking
- Raymond Edge, British Geodesist and Army Officer
- Library of Congress. American and English Genealogies in the Library of Congress. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1967. Print.
- Samuelsen, W. David. New York City Passenger List Manifests Index 1820 - 1824. North Salt Lake, Utah: Accelerated Indexing Systems International, 1986. Print.
- Marcharn, Frederick George. A Constitutional History of Modern England 1485 to the Present. London: Harper and Brothers, 1960. Print.
- Shaw, William A. Knights of England A Complete Record from the Earliest Time to the Present Day of the Knights of all the Orders of Chivalry in England, Scotland, Ireland and Knights Bachelors 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 080630443X).
- Hanks, Hodges, Mills and Room. The Oxford Names Companion. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2002. Print. (ISBN 0-19-860561-7).
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
- Ingram, Rev. James. Translator Anglo-Saxon Chronicle 1823. Print.
- Thirsk, Joan. The Agrarian History of England and Wales. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press: 7 Volumes. Print.
- Best, Hugh. Debrett's Texas Peerage. New York: Coward-McCann, 1983. Print. (ISBN 069811244X).
- Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at Galveston Texas 1896-1951. National Archives Washington DC. Print.
The Edge Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Edge Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 25 March 2015 at 12:27.
on orders of $85 or more