Dynan History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The origins of the Dynan name come from when the Anglo-Saxon tribes ruled over Britain. The name Dynan was originally derived from a family having lived in Dinham, a hamlet in the county Monmouthshire. 
Early Origins of the Dynan family
The surname Dynan was first found in Monmouthshire. However, another source points to Devon and Cornwall as the origin of the family. In this case, Barons Dinham, and De Dinant, claim descent from the Viscounts Dinant of Bretagne, France. 
The Hundredorum Rolls of 1273 has two listings in Devon: Oliver de Dynham; and Robert de Dyncham as both holding lands there at that time. 
The manor of Bodarle or Bodardle, in the parish of Lanlivery, Cornwall belonged in the reign of Richard I. In 1259, it was conveyed by Isolda de Cardinham to Oliver de Dinan, in whose posterity it continued for several generations. 
Early History of the Dynan family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Dynan research. Another 78 words (6 lines of text) covering the years 1295, 1320, 1433, 1501, 1460 and 1486 are included under the topic Early Dynan History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Dynan Spelling Variations
Before English spelling was standardized a few hundred years ago, spelling variations of names were a common occurrence. Elements of Latin, French and other languages became incorporated into English through the Middle Ages, and name spellings changed even among the literate. The variations of the surname Dynan include Dynham, Dinan, Dinham, Dinat, Dyneham and others.
Early Notables of the Dynan family (pre 1700)
Another 50 words (4 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Dynan Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Dynan migration to Australia +
Emigration to Australia
followed the First Fleets
of convicts, tradespeople and early settlers. Early immigrants include:
Dynan Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- Martin Dynan, aged 22, a farm labourer, who arrived in South Australia in 1859 aboard the ship "North"
Contemporary Notables of the name Dynan (post 1700) +
- Michael Dynan, American actor, known for Wodehouse Playhouse (1974) and Unnatural Causes (1986)
- Melissa Dynan, American actress, known for Maya's Soul (2006), Woods of Evil (2005) and Bottom Out (2004)
- Karen Dynan, American economist, current Assistant Secretary of the Treasury for Economic Policy and Chief Economist of the United States Department of the Treasury
- Phil Dynan (b. 1948), American artist and author
Related Stories +
- ^ Bardsley, C.W, A Dictionary of English and Welsh Surnames: With Special American Instances. Wiltshire: Heraldry Today, 1901. Print. (ISBN 0-900455-44-6)
- ^ The Norman People and Their Existing Descendants in the British Dominions and the United States Of America. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1975. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0636-X)
- ^ Hutchins, Fortescue, The History of Cornwall, from the Earliest Records and Traditions to the Present Time. London: William Penaluna, 1824. Print