The Durkan surname is an Anglicized form of the Gaelic Mac Duarcáin.
Early Origins of the Durkan family
The surname Durkan was first found in north Connacht
(Irish: Connachta, (land of the) descendants of Conn), where they held a family seat
as Chiefs of their race. Irish history was greatly influenced by the Norman invasion
of 1172, and thereafter, the surnames of Irish Gaelic clanns and septs and many of the Norman families became almost indistinguishable. This family name was found later in Sligo
where seated and represented the first recorded reference to the name by Sineall, son of Cassan. They were descended through the MacNamara line from the O'Brien Kings of Ireland.
Early History of the Durkan family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Durkan research.Another 209 words (15 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Durkan History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Durkan Spelling Variations
of this family name include: Durkin, Durkan, Dorcan, McDurkin, McDorcan, McDurkan, Gurkin, McGurkin, O'Durkin, O'Durcan and many more.
Early Notables of the Durkan family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Durkan Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Durkan family to the New World and Oceana
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Durkan Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- James Durkan, who settled in America in 1848
- Edmond Durkan, who settled in Savannah, Georgia sometime between 1851 and 1853
- Mathew Durkan, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1853
- Dibby Durkan, who arrived in America sometime between 1854 and 1856
- Anne Durkan, who settled in New York, NY in 1863
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Durkan Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- John Joseph Durkan, who settled in Nebraska in 1919
Contemporary Notables of the name Durkan (post 1700)
- Jenny A. Durkan, American Democrat politician, Member, Credentials Committee, Democratic National Convention, 2008 CITATION[CLOSE]
The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, November 4) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html