Early Origins of the Dorley family
The surname Dorley was first found in Galway
(Irish: Gaillimh) part of the province of Connacht
, located on the west coast of the Island, where they held a family seat
as a sept of Ui Maine (Hy Main) one of the most important groups of clanns in Irish history, after the Norman Conquest
, was strongly influenced by the invasion of Strongbow
in 1172, almost equal to the enormous Irish cultural impact on England Scotland
and the whole of Europe before the Norman Conquest
from the 1st to 7th centuries. Many Irish clanns, sept names were intermixed and family groupings became almost indistinguishable. This family name was found later in County Offaly.
Early History of the Dorley family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Dorley research.Another 72 words (5 lines of text) covering the years 179 and 1798 are included under the topic Early Dorley History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Dorley Spelling Variations
of this family name include: Doorley, Dorley, O'Dorely, O'Doorley, Dorly and many more.
Early Notables of the Dorley family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Dorley Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Dorley family to the New World and Oceana
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Dorley Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Wm. L. Dorley, aged 31, who landed in America, in 1895
- Eliz. Dorley, aged 17, who landed in America, in 1896
- Michael Dorley, aged 20, who emigrated to the United States from Korkhill, in 1897
Dorley Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- James Dorley, aged 28, who emigrated to the United States, in 1905
- John Dorley, aged 55, who settled in America from Kilmagany, Ireland, in 1908
- D. H. Dorley, aged 28, who landed in America, in 1921
- Daniel Dorley, aged 28, who settled in America, in 1921
Contemporary Notables of the name Dorley (post 1700)
- Marcia Dorley, American actress, known for her role in All My Father's Children (2014)
- Private August Dorley (1842-1867), German soldier who fought in the American Civil War and received the Medal of Honor, for his action at Mount Pleasant, Alabama on 11 April 1865
- Shana Dorley, American actress