Dorlandt History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Dorlandt is a name of ancient Anglo-Saxon origin and comes from a family once having lived in or beside a meadow. The surname Dorlandt originally derived from the Old English word Dael.
Early Origins of the Dorlandt family
The surname Dorlandt was first found in Norfolk at either Field Dalling or Wood Dalling. Collectively they date back to the Domesday Book when they were listed as Dallinga.  Later there was a split in the villages as Wode Dallinges was listed in 1198 and Fildedalling was listed in 1272. 
The parish of Wood-Dalling (anciently spelt Wode Dallinges) in Norfolk was a family seat since early times. "The Hall, now a respectable farmhouse, was built in 1582 by a member of the Dalling family, which during a long period held the estate." 
Early History of the Dorlandt family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Dorlandt research. Another 84 words (6 lines of text) covering the years 1400, 1567, 1561, 1637 and 1561 are included under the topic Early Dorlandt History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Dorlandt Spelling Variations
The English language only became standardized in the last few centuries; therefore, spelling variations are common among early Anglo-Saxon names. As the form of the English language changed, even the spelling of literate people's names evolved. Dorlandt has been recorded under many different variations, including Dalling, Dawling, Douling, Dauling, Dallinger and others.
Early Notables of the Dorlandt family (pre 1700)
Another 31 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Dorlandt Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Dorlandt migration to the United States +
For many English families, the political and religious disarray that shrouded England made the far away New World an attractive prospect. On cramped disease-ridden ships, thousands migrated to those British colonies that would eventually become Canada and the United States. Those hardy settlers that survived the journey often went on to make important contributions to the emerging nations in which they landed. Analysis of immigration records indicates that some of the first North American immigrants bore the name Dorlandt or a variant listed above:
Dorlandt Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Gerret Dorlandt, who arrived in New York, NY in 1652 
- Lambert Dorlandt, who landed in New York, NY in 1663 
Related Stories +
- ^ Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin, Eds., Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8)
- ^ Mills, A.D., Dictionary of English Place-Names. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-19-869156-4)
- ^ Lewis, Samuel, A Topographical Dictionary of England. Institute of Historical Research, 1848, Print.
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)