Of all the Anglo-Saxon
names to come from Britain, Dinh is one of the most ancient. The name is a result of the original family having lived in Dinham, a hamlet in the county Monmouthshire.
Early Origins of the Dinh family
The surname Dinh was first found in Monmouthshire
where they held a family seat
from very ancient times, some say well before the Norman Conquest
and the arrival of Duke William at Hastings in 1066 A.D.
Early History of the Dinh family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Dinh research.Another 155 words (11 lines of text) covering the years 1295, 1320, 1433, 1501, 1460 and 1486 are included under the topic Early Dinh History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Dinh Spelling Variations
The first dictionaries that appeared in the last few hundred
years did much to standardize the English language. Before that time, spelling variations
in names were a common occurrence. The language was changing, incorporating pieces of other languages, and the spelling of names changed with it. Dinh has been spelled many different ways, including Dynham, Dinan, Dinham, Dinat, Dyneham and others.
Early Notables of the Dinh family (pre 1700)
Another 50 words (4 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Dinh Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Dinh family to the New World and Oceana
Thousands of English families in this era began to emigrate the New World in search of land and freedom from religious and political persecution. Although the passage was expensive and the ships were dark, crowded, and unsafe, those who made the voyage safely were rewarded with opportunities unavailable to them in their homeland. Research into passenger and immigration lists has revealed some of the very first Dinhs to arrive in North America: Thomas Dinham, who came to Virginia in 1731; George Dinham, who arrived in New England
in 1763; as well as Daniel, James, Michael, and Thomas Dinan, who all settled in Philadelphia between 1840 and 1860..