Denen History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
The ancestors of the name Denen date back to the Anglo-Saxon tribes of Britain. The name is derived from when the Denen family lived in Dinham, a hamlet in the county Monmouthshire.
Early Origins of the Denen family
The surname Denen was first found in Monmouthshire where they held a family seat from very ancient times, some say well before the Norman Conquest and the arrival of Duke William at Hastings in 1066 A.D.
Important Dates for the Denen family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Denen research. Another 78 words (6 lines of text) covering the years 1295, 1320, 1433, 1501, 1460 and 1486 are included under the topic Early Denen History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Denen Spelling Variations
It is only in the last few hundred years that the English language has been standardized. For that reason, early Anglo-Saxon surnames like Denen are characterized by many spelling variations. As the English language changed and incorporated elements of other European languages, even literate people changed the spelling of their names. The variations of the name Denen include: Dynham, Dinan, Dinham, Dinat, Dyneham and others.
Early Notables of the Denen family (pre 1700)
Another 50 words (4 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Denen Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Denen migration to the United States
Many English families tired of political and religious strife left Britain for the new colonies in North America. Although the trip itself offered no relief - conditions on the ships were extremely cramped, and many travelers arrived diseased, starving, and destitute - these immigrants believed the opportunities that awaited them were worth the risks. Once in the colonies, many of the families did indeed prosper and, in turn, made significant contributions to the culture and economies of the growing colonies. An inquiry into the early roots of North American families has revealed a number of immigrants bearing the name Denen or a variant listed above:
Denen Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Anna Von Denen, who arrived in America in 1661 
Denen Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Rosche Denen, aged 50, who immigrated to the United States, in 1895
- Zippe Denen, aged 5, who landed in America, in 1895
- John Denen, aged 27, who landed in America from Southampton, in 1896
Denen Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Anna Denen, aged 35, who settled in America, in 1905
- Auguste Denen, aged 10, who immigrated to the United States, in 1905
- Ernest Denen, aged 7, who landed in America, in 1905
- George Denen, aged 11, who immigrated to America, in 1905
You May Also Like
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)