on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the English Dellinger family come from? What is the English Dellinger family crest and coat of arms? When did the Dellinger family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Dellinger family history?The roots of the Anglo-Saxon name Dellinger come from when the family resided in or beside a meadow. The surname Dellinger originally derived from the Old English word Dael.
The English language only became standardized in the last few centuries; therefore, spelling variations are common among early Anglo-Saxon names. As the form of the English language changed, even the spelling of literate people's names evolved. Dellinger has been recorded under many different variations, including Dalling, Dawling, Douling, Dauling, Dallinger and others.
First found in Norfolk where they held a family seat from very ancient times, some say well before the Norman Conquest and the arrival of Duke William at Hastings in 1066 A.D.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Dellinger research. Another 167 words (12 lines of text) covering the years 1400 and 1567 are included under the topic Early Dellinger History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 21 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Dellinger Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
For many English families, the political and religious disarray that shrouded England made the far away New World an attractive prospect. On cramped disease-ridden ships, thousands migrated to those British colonies that would eventually become Canada and the United States. Those hardy settlers that survived the journey often went on to make important contributions to the emerging nations in which they landed. Analysis of immigration records indicates that some of the first North American immigrants bore the name Dellinger or a variant listed above:
Dellinger Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Jacob Dellinger, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1733
- Valentin Dellinger, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1749
- Philipp Dellinger, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1750
- Walter E. Dellinger III (b. 1941), US jurist, United States Solicitor General (1996 to 1997)
- John Howard Dellinger (1886-1962), American telecommunication engineer who discovered the Dellinger effect
- David T. Dellinger (1915-2004), American pacifist and activist for nonviolent social change
- Bill Dellinger (b. 1934), American Olympic gold and bronze medalist
- Walter Estes III Dellinger (b. 1941), American politician, U.S. Solicitor General, 1996-97
- J. M. Dellinger, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Texas, 1964
- Harry A. Dellinger, American politician, Mayor of Fairborn, Ohio, 1952-55
- Hampton Dellinger (b. 1967), American Democrat politician, Lawyer ; Candidate in primary for Lieutenant Governor of North Carolina, 2008
- David P. Dellinger, American Democrat politician, Member of North Carolina State House of Representatives from Gaston County, 1913-14
- Clark Dellinger, American Republican politician, Delegate to Republican National Convention from Indiana, 1952
- Mills, A.D. Dictionary of English Place-Names. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-19-869156-4).
- Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin, Eds. Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8).
- Virkus, Frederick A. Ed. Immigrant Ancestors A List of 2,500 Immigrants to America Before 1750. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1964. Print.
- Leeson, Francis L. Dictionary of British Peerages. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1986. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-1121-5).
- Cook, Chris. English Historical Facts 1603-1688. London: MacMillan, 1980. Print.
- Thirsk, Joan. The Agrarian History of England and Wales. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press: 7 Volumes. Print.
- Skordas, Guest. Ed. The Early Settlers of Maryland an Index to Names or Immigrants Complied from Records of Land Patents 1633-1680 in the Hall of Records Annapolis, Maryland. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1968. Print.
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- Matthews, John. Matthews' American Armoury and Blue Book. London: John Matthews, 1911. Print.
- Sanders, Joanne McRee Edition. English Settlers in Barbados 1637-1800. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
The Dellinger Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Dellinger Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 22 October 2015 at 09:41.
on orders of $85 or more