on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the English Dellinger family come from? What is the English Dellinger family crest and coat of arms? When did the Dellinger family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Dellinger family history?The roots of the Anglo-Saxon name Dellinger come from when the family resided in or beside a meadow. The surname Dellinger originally derived from the Old English word Dael.
The English language only became standardized in the last few centuries; therefore, spelling variations are common among early Anglo-Saxon names. As the form of the English language changed, even the spelling of literate people's names evolved. Dellinger has been recorded under many different variations, including Dalling, Dawling, Douling, Dauling, Dallinger and others.
First found in Norfolk where they held a family seat from very ancient times, some say well before the Norman Conquest and the arrival of Duke William at Hastings in 1066 A.D.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Dellinger research. Another 167 words(12 lines of text) covering the years 1400 and 1567 are included under the topic Early Dellinger History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 21 words(2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Dellinger Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
For many English families, the political and religious disarray that shrouded England made the far away New World an attractive prospect. On cramped disease-ridden ships, thousands migrated to those British colonies that would eventually become Canada and the United States. Those hardy settlers that survived the journey often went on to make important contributions to the emerging nations in which they landed. Analysis of immigration records indicates that some of the first North American immigrants bore the name Dellinger or a variant listed above:
Dellinger Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Jacob Dellinger, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1733
- Valentin Dellinger, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1749
- Philipp Dellinger, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1750
- Bill Dellinger (b. 1934), American Olympic gold and bronze medalist
- David T. Dellinger (1915-2004), American pacifist and activist for nonviolent social change
- John Howard Dellinger (1886-1962), American telecommunication engineer who discovered the Dellinger effect
- Walter E. Dellinger III (b. 1941), US jurist, United States Solicitor General (1996 to 1997)
- Rudolf Dellinger (1857-1910), German composer and Kapellmeister
- Bede, The Venerable. Historia Ecclesiatica Gentis Anglorum (The Ecclesiastical History Of the English People). Available through Internet Medieval Sourcebook the Fordham University Centre for Medieval Studies. Print.
- Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin . Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8).
- Shaw, William A. Knights of England A Complete Record from the Earliest Time to the Present Day of the Knights of all the Orders of Chivalry in England, Scotland, Ireland and Knights Bachelors 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 080630443X).
- Shirley, Evelyn Philip. Noble and Gentle Men of England Or Notes Touching The Arms and Descendants of the Ancient Knightley and Gentle Houses of England Arranged in their Respective Counties 3rd Edition. Westminster: John Bowyer Nichols and Sons, 1866. Print.
- Chadwick, Nora Kershaw and J.X.W.P Corcoran. The Celts. London: Penguin, 1790. Print. (ISBN 0140212116).
- Papworth, J.W and A.W Morant. Ordinary of British Armorials. London: T.Richards, 1874. Print.
- Filby, P. William and Mary K Meyer. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index in Four Volumes. Detroit: Gale Research, 1985. Print. (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8).
- Samuelsen, W. David. New York City Passenger List Manifests Index 1820 - 1824. North Salt Lake, Utah: Accelerated Indexing Systems International, 1986. Print.
- Fairbairn. Fairbain's book of Crests of the Families of Great Britain and Ireland, 4th Edition 2 volumes in one. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1968. Print.
- Robb H. Amanda and Andrew Chesler. Encyclopedia of American Family Names. New York: Haper Collins, 1995. Print. (ISBN 0-06-270075-8).
The Dellinger Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Dellinger Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 18 September 2014 at 23:25.
on orders of $85 or more