Deling History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The name Deling is of Anglo-Saxon origin and came from when a family lived in or beside a meadow. The surname Deling originally derived from the Old English word Dael.
Early Origins of the Deling family
The surname Deling was first found in Norfolk at either Field Dalling or Wood Dalling. Collectively they date back to the Domesday Book when they were listed as Dallinga.  Later there was a split in the villages as Wode Dallinges was listed in 1198 and Fildedalling was listed in 1272. 
The parish of Wood-Dalling (anciently spelt Wode Dallinges) in Norfolk was a family seat since early times. "The Hall, now a respectable farmhouse, was built in 1582 by a member of the Dalling family, which during a long period held the estate." 
Early History of the Deling family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Deling research. Another 84 words (6 lines of text) covering the years 1400, 1567, 1561, 1637 and 1561 are included under the topic Early Deling History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Deling Spelling Variations
Sound was what guided spelling in the essentially pre-literate Middle Ages, so one person's name was often recorded under several variations during a single lifetime. Also, before the advent of the printing press and the first dictionaries, the English language was not standardized. Therefore, spelling variations were common, even among the names of the most literate people. Known variations of the Deling family name include Dalling, Dawling, Douling, Dauling, Dallinger and others.
Early Notables of the Deling family (pre 1700)
Another 31 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Deling Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Deling migration to the United States +
For political, religious, and economic reasons, thousands of English families boarded ships for Ireland, the Canadas, the America colonies, and many of smaller tropical colonies in the hope of finding better lives abroad. Although the passage on the cramped, dank ships caused many to arrive in the New World diseased and starving, those families that survived the trip often went on to make valuable contributions to those new societies to which they arrived. Early immigrants bearing the Deling surname or a spelling variation of the name include :
Deling Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Eliz Deling, who landed in Virginia in 1704 
Deling Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- R S Deling, who arrived in San Francisco, California in 1851 
Related Stories +
- ^ Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin, Eds., Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8)
- ^ Mills, A.D., Dictionary of English Place-Names. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-19-869156-4)
- ^ Lewis, Samuel, A Topographical Dictionary of England. Institute of Historical Research, 1848, Print.
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)