Dannatt History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The surname Dannatt is a name that came to England in the 11th century wave of migration that was set off by the Norman Conquest of 1066. The Dannatt family lived in Sussex. The family was originally from D'Anet, in Normandy, and it is from this location that their surname derives.
Early Origins of the Dannatt family
The surname Dannatt was first found in Leicestershire where they held a family seat as Lords of the Manor. The Saxon influence of English history diminished after the Battle of Hastings in 1066. The language of the courts was French for the next three centuries and the Norman ambience prevailed. But Saxon surnames survived and the family name was first referenced in the 13th century when they held estates in that shire.
Some of the family were later found in Owlpen, a parish, in the union of Dursley, Upper division of the hundred of Berkeley, W. division of the county of Gloucester. The church there has "some memorials of the very ancient family of Danet, who formerly resided here, and were of considerable eminence." 
Early History of the Dannatt family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Dannatt research. Another 168 words (12 lines of text) covering the years 1332, 1359, 1510, 1600, 1180, 1187, 1189, 1431, 1455 and 1487 are included under the topic Early Dannatt History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Dannatt Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Dannett, Dannet, Danet, Donat, Donatt, Donett, Donet, Dannatt, Danatt, Dannet, Dannant and many more.
Early Notables of the Dannatt family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Dannatt Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Dannatt family
Some of the first settlers of this family name or some of its variants were: John Dennett who settled in Maine in 1630; Samuel Dennett and his wife Susannah arrived in west New Jersey in 1664; Alexander Dennett arrived in Maine in 1630.
Contemporary Notables of the name Dannatt (post 1700) +
- Trevor Dannatt OBE (1920-2021), British architect, known for his work on the Royal Festival Hall, Laslett House, Cambridge and Blackheath Quaker Meeting House
- Mr. Timothy Mark Dannatt C.B.E. (b. 1958), British Head of Acquisition Queen Elizabeth Class for Ministry of Defence, was appointed Commander of the Order of the British Empire on 29th December 2018 for services to Defence Acquisition by her Majesty The Queen 
- General Sir Francis Richard Dannatt (b. 1950), Chief of the General Staff, the professional head of the British Army
Related Stories +
- ^ Lewis, Samuel, A Topographical Dictionary of England. Institute of Historical Research, 1848, Print.
- ^ "Birthday and New Year Honours Lists (1940 to 2019)." Issue 62507, 28 December 2018 | London Gazette, The Gazette, Dec. 2018, www.thegazette.co.uk/honours-lists