Dand History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
The ancient roots of the Dand family name are in the Anglo-Saxon culture. The name Dand comes from when the family lived in the valley or the dann. The surname often meant the dweller in the valley.
Early Origins of the Dand family
The surname Dand was first found in Sussex where they held a family seat from very ancient times.
Early History of the Dand family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Dand research. Another 80 words (6 lines of text) covering the year 1327 is included under the topic Early Dand History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Dand Spelling Variations
One relatively recent invention that did much to standardize English spelling was the printing press. However, before its invention even the most literate people recorded their names according to sound rather than spelling. The spelling variations under which the name Dand has appeared include Dan, Dann, Danne, Dans, Danns, Dannes and others.
Early Notables of the Dand family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Dand Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Dand family to Ireland
Some of the Dand family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. More information about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Dand migration to the United States +
At this time, the shores of the New World beckoned many English families that felt that the social climate in England was oppressive and lacked opportunity for change. Thousands left England at great expense in ships that were overcrowded and full of disease. A great portion of these settlers never survived the journey and even a greater number arrived sick, starving, and without a penny. The survivors, however, were often greeted with greater opportunity than they could have experienced back home. These English settlers made significant contributions to those colonies that would eventually become the United States and Canada. An examination of early immigration records and passenger ship lists revealed that people bearing the name Dand arrived in North America very early:
Dand Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Sophia Dand, aged 31, who immigrated to the United States, in 1897
Dand Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Robert B. Dand, aged 24, who immigrated to America, in 1906
- David Dand, aged 68, who settled in America from Johnstone, Scotland, in 1907
- James Dand, aged 22, who immigrated to the United States from Dundee, Scotland, in 1909
- James M. Dand, aged 35, who settled in America from Bronghty Ferry, Scotland, in 1910
- Helen R. Dand, aged 31, who landed in America from Glasgow, Scotland, in 1919
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Dand (post 1700) +
- Mr. Henry Dand, British sheriff, held the joint position of Sheriff of Nottingham, England from 1558 to 1559
- Manilal Dand, Indian former businessman who has set up and runs a library for underprivileged children in Mazgaon, Mumbai
- Dhairya Dand, Indian-born New York City based inventor and artist
Related Stories +