Cullis History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The age-old Pictish-Scottish family name Cullis is derived from son of Collie which is a diminutive of Nicholas.
Early Origins of the Cullis family
The surname Cullis was first found in Aberdeenshire (Gaelic: Siorrachd Obar Dheathain), a historic county, and present day Council Area of Aberdeen, located in the Grampian region of northeastern Scotland, where they held a family seat from very early times.
Important Dates for the Cullis family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Cullis research. Another 165 words (12 lines of text) covering the years 1200, 1449, 1531, 1584, 1596, and 1674 are included under the topic Early Cullis History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Cullis Spelling Variations
In medieval Scotland, names were more often spelled according to sound than any regular set of rules. An enormous number of spelling variations were the result. Over the years, the name Cullis has been spelled Collison, Collisone, Colesoun, Colison, Colisone, Caullison, Cawlison, Cawllison, Colleson, Coleson, Collisoun, Collisson and many more.
Early Notables of the Cullis family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Cullis Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Cullis family
In such difficult times, Ireland, Australia, and North America looked like better homes for many Scots. The trips were expensive and grueling, but also rewarding, as the colonies were havens for those unwelcome in the old country. That legacy did not die easily, though, and many were forced to fight for their freedom in the American War of Independence. The Scottish legacy has resurface in more recent times, though, through Clan societies, highland games, and other organizations. Immigration and passenger lists have shown many early immigrants bearing the old Scottish name of Cullis: Miles Collison who settled in Virginia in 1639; followed by Eliza in 1650; John Collison settled in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1848.
Contemporary Notables of the name Cullis (post 1700)
- G. Harry Cullis, American Republican politician, Mayor of Summit, New Jersey; Elected 1943 
- Cass Cullis, American Democrat politician, Alternate Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Ohio, 1948 
- A. E. Cullis, American Democrat politician, Candidate for Mayor of Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan, 1913, 1917 
- Anthony George Cullis FRS (b. 1946), British electronic engineer, professor at University of Sheffield
- Rita Cullis, English soprano from Ellesmere Port
- Stanley Cullis (1916-2001), English professional footballer and manager from Ellesmere Port
You May Also Like
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2016, January 26) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html