The history of the name Culleard begins with the Anglo-Saxon
tribes of Britain. It is derived from the given name Nicholas. A common diminutive of the name Nicholas was Col. The suffix "ard" was a Norman French suffix that meant "son of."
Early Origins of the Culleard family
The surname Culleard was first found in Essex
where they held a family seat
from very early times.
Early History of the Culleard family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Culleard research.Another 323 words (23 lines of text) covering the years 1264, 1264, 11 f and 1666 are included under the topic Early Culleard History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Culleard Spelling Variations
The English language only became standardized in the last few centuries; therefore, spelling variations
are common among early Anglo-Saxon
names. As the form of the English language changed, even the spelling of literate people's names evolved. Culleard has been recorded under many different variations, including Callard, Collard, Collarde, Colard, Colarde, Cullard, Collart, Collerd and many more.
Early Notables of the Culleard family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Culleard Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Culleard family to the New World and Oceana
For many English families, the political and religious disarray that shrouded England
made the far away New World an attractive prospect. On cramped disease-ridden ships, thousands migrated to those British colonies that would eventually become Canada and the United States. Those hardy settlers that survived the journey often went on to make important contributions to the emerging nations in which they landed. Analysis of immigration records indicates that some of the first North American immigrants bore the name Culleard or a variant listed above: Mary Collard who settled in Barbados in 1686; Stephen Collard settled in Maryland in 1737; Thomas Collard settled in Charles Town [Charleston], South Carolina in 1822.