Conoly History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
While many Irish names are familiar, their past incarnations are often shrouded in mystery, reflecting the ancient Gaelic heritage of their bearers. The original Gaelic form of the name Conoly is O Conghalaigh, O Conghaile, or O Coingheallaigh.
Early Origins of the Conoly family
The surname Conoly was first found in Connacht and Munster, as well as County Monaghan and Leinster. There were three Gaelic septs whose name was Anglicized as Connolly: the O Conghalaigh sept (also known as O Conghaile) who lived in Connacht and the adjacent County Monaghan; the O Coingheallaigh sept, which also used the alias Mac Coingheallaigh, were subordinate to the powerful O'Donovans and dwelled in West Cork in Munster; and another sept, related to the O'Maddens, resided in Connacht and were of the Ui Maine. 
Early History of the Conoly family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Conoly research. Another 115 words (8 lines of text) covering the years 1014, 1591, 1660, 1729, 1738, 1803, 1750 and 1825 are included under the topic Early Conoly History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Conoly Spelling Variations
During the Middle Ages, exact spellings for people's name did not exist. It was up to the literate scribe that was recording a person's name to decide how to spell his name. Names, therefore, often had many spelling variations. The variations of the name Conoly include: Connolly, Conolly, Connally, O'Connolly, Connolley, Conally, Connelly, Conoley, Connaleigh, Connelay, Conley, Conlay, Conlaye and many more.
Early Notables of the Conoly family (pre 1700)
Another 33 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Conoly Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Conoly migration to the United States +
A great wave of Irish migration occurred during the 19th century as a direct result of English colonial rule and tight-fisted absentee landlords. Many of these Irish immigrants boarded passenger ships bound for North America. Those who migrated early enough were given land in either British North America or the United States; those who came in the late 19th century were typically employed in industrial centers as laborers. At whatever age they undertook the dangerous passage to North America, those Irish immigrants were essential to the speedy development of the two infant nations to which they arrived, whether they broke and settled land, helped build canals, bridges, and railroads, or produced products for consumer consumption. An examination of immigration and passenger lists has uncovered a large number of immigrants bearing the name Conoly or one of its variants:
Conoly Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Anthony Conoly, aged 24, who arrived in Mobile County, Ala in 1843 
- Patrick Conoly, aged 35, who landed in New York in 1854 
Contemporary Notables of the name Conoly (post 1700) +
- Charles Conoly, American actor, known for Brave New America (2016), Fetish (2017) and Switch Promotion for ShowUp Media (2016)
Related Stories +
- ^ MacLysaght, Edward, Irish Families Their Names, Arms and Origins 4th Edition. Dublin: Irish Academic, 1982. Print. (ISBN 0-7165-2364-7)
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)