Condee History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The name Condee is thought to be ultimately derived from Middle English, Old French word "conduit," which denoted a water channel. As a name it is assumed that the first bearer of the name lived near a canal of some kind.
The first record of the family was found in "Conde, near Bayeux where Arnfrid Camerarius witnessed a charter in Normandy 1066. In 1086 he held 26 lordships in Barony in England . Robert, his son, gave his estate of Condy to Holy Trinity, Caen, 1082. He is named Robert de Condy in England 1103. His brother Audin de Condy was Bishop of Bayeux 1112, and Turstin de Condy Archbishop of York 1119. Another brother, Richard de Condy companied Duke Robert to Palestine 1096." 
Early Origins of the Condee family
The surname Condee was first found in Yorkshire where a Roger de Cundi was on record in circa 1150. The records of the Templars show Aliz de Condi in 1185 in Lincolnshire. The Pipe Rolls of 1200 for Lincolnshire show Nicholas Cundy. 
Further to the north in Scotland, "there was at one time a family of Condie of that Ilk, who derived their name from the lands of Condie, near Forgandenny, Perthshire. John de Conady is in record in Perth in 1414." 
Important Dates for the Condee family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Condee research. Another 115 words (8 lines of text) covering the years 1334, 1340, 1414, 1541, 1682, 1717, 1688, 1737, 1688 and are included under the topic Early Condee History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Condee Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Condy, Condie, Conedy, Conndy, Conndie, Caundie, Caundy, Cundie, Cundy, Coneday, Conady, Connedie, Caunedy, Caunnday, Caundey, Coundey, Conday, Condey, Connidy, Cunnidie, Cuneday, Cunady, Cunnedie, Caunidy and many more.
Early Notables of the Condee family (pre 1700)
Another 46 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Condee Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Condee family to Ireland
Some of the Condee family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt.
Another 60 words (4 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Condee family
Some of the first settlers of this family name or some of its variants were: William Condy of New London, who settled in Connecticut in 1664, and was master of a vessel in the West Indies trade. In 1679 on a voyage to London, England, his vessel was taken by the Algerians. William died in 1685. Thomas Condy was a soldier in Turner Company in the year 1678, in Boston..
Contemporary Notables of the name Condee (post 1700)
- Ralph Condee, American Educator
- George M. Condee, American politician, Member of California State Assembly 18th District, 1859-60 
- ^ Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin, Eds., Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8)
- ^ The Norman People and Their Existing Descendants in the British Dominions and the United States Of America. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1975. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0636-X)
- ^ Reaney, P.H and R.M. Wilson, A Dictionary of English Surnames. London: Routledge, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-415-05737-X)
- ^ Black, George F., The Surnames of Scotland Their Origin, Meaning and History. New York: New York Public Library, 1946. Print. (ISBN 0-87104-172-3)
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2016, February 3) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html