Climo History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
The origins of the name Climo are from the ancient Anglo-Saxon culture of Britain. It is derived from the given name Clement which means the son of Clement. The name is from Latin origin and applies to a mild or merciful individual. It gained popularity in Medieval Europe when it was borne by an early saint who was a disciple of St. Paul, and later when the name was used by several early popes.
Early Origins of the Climo family
The surname Climo was first found in Brecknock, in the Welsh princedom of Powys, located in the border country between Wales and England. A bearer of Clement is said to have arrived in the Norman Conquest of England with Bernard Newmarche. Together they later fought in Brecon where they conquered the Lordship of Caron; after this battle Clement was given land at Llangorse Lake and at Cathedine.
There is a record of a grant of these lands to Geoffrey Clement made at Westminster by Edward 1 on the 10th February 1290. There has also long been a family of this name in Oxfordshire, where record of the Templars show William and Richard Clement in 1153, and Robertus Clemens in 1155.
Early History of the Climo family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Climo research. Another 166 words (12 lines of text) covering the years 1162, 1210, 1233, 1273, 1379, 1489, 1685, 1742, 1258, 1594, 1660, 1660, 1508, 1570, 1508, 1572, 1626, 1797 and are included under the topic Early Climo History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Climo Spelling Variations
Sound was what guided spelling in the essentially pre-literate Middle Ages, so one person's name was often recorded under several variations during a single lifetime. Also, before the advent of the printing press and the first dictionaries, the English language was not standardized. Therefore, spelling variations were common, even among the names of the most literate people. Known variations of the Climo family name include Clements, Clement, Clemens, Climer and others.
Early Notables of the Climo family (pre 1700)
Outstanding amongst the family at this time was Clement of Dunblane (d. 1258), a Dominican friar, and close associate of King Alexander II of Scotland, who was made Bishop of Dunblane; and Gregory Clement (1594-1660), an English Member of Parliament (MP) and one of the regicides of King Charles I, he was hanged, drawn and quartered at Charing Cross on 17 October 1660.
Margaret Clements or Clement (1508-1570), was a learned lady, whose maiden name was...
Another 74 words (5 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Climo Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Climo family to Ireland
Some of the Climo family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt.
Another 111 words (8 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Climo migration to Australia +
Emigration to Australia
followed the First Fleets
of convicts, tradespeople and early settlers. Early immigrants include:
Climo Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- Mr. Richard Climo, (b. 1809), aged 40 born in Bodmin, Cornwall, UK convicted in Bodmin on 26th March 1849, sentenced for 10 years for stealing wheat, transported aboard the ship "Oriental Queen" in 1852 to Van Diemen's Land, Tasmania, Australia 
- Miss M. A. Climo, (b. 1839), aged 23, Cornish farm servant departing from Soton on 4th June 1862 aboard the ship "Accrington" arriving in Melbourne, Victoria, Australia on 24th August 1862 
- Miss Elizabeth J. Climo, (b. 1837), aged 25, Cornish farm servant departing from Soton on 4th June 1862 aboard the ship "Accrington" arriving in Melbourne, Victoria, Australia on 24th August 1862 
Contemporary Notables of the name Climo (post 1700) +
- Josh Climo, American editor, known for his work on Watchmen (2009), TwiLife (2011) and Trek Nation (2010)
- Liz Climo (b. 1981), American annimator, known for her work on The Simpsons
- Brett Climo (b. 1964), Australian actor, known for A Country Practice (1981), Snowy River: The McGregor Saga (1993) and A Place to Call Home (2013)
Related Stories +