on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Origins Available: Dutch, English, German
Where did the English Bush family come from? What is the English Bush family crest and coat of arms? When did the Bush family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Bush family history?The ancestors of the Bush surname lived among the ancient Anglo-Saxon culture. The name comes from when they lived by a bush. The surname Bush is derived from the Old English words busk and busche, which both are ultimately derived from the Old English word busc, which means bush.
Before English spelling was standardized a few hundred years ago, spelling variations of names were a common occurrence. Elements of Latin, French and other languages became incorporated into English through the Middle Ages, and name spellings changed even among the literate. The variations of the surname Bush include Bush, Bushe, Boush, Busche, Busch, Boushe and others.
First found in Yorkshire where they held a family seat from very ancient times.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Bush research. Another 299 words(21 lines of text) covering the years 1086 and 1797 are included under the topic Early Bush History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Bush Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the Bush family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 53 words(4 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products.
A great wave of immigration to the New World was the result of the enormous political and religious disarray that struck England at that time. Families left for the New World in extremely large numbers. The long journey was the end of many immigrants and many more arrived sick and starving. Still, those who made it were rewarded with an opportunity far greater than they had known at home in England. These emigrant families went on to make significant contributions to these emerging colonies in which they settled. Some of the first North American settlers carried this name or one of its variants:
Bush Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Susan Bush, who arrived in Virginia in 1617
- John Bush, who landed in Boston, Massachusetts in 1635
- Jo Bush who settled in Virginia in 1635
- Jo Bush, aged 17, landed in Virginia in 1635
- Tho Bush, who landed in Virginia in 1637
Bush Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Win Bush, who arrived in North Carolina in 1701
- Sarah Bush, who arrived in North Carolina in 1701
- Wm, Bush Jr., who arrived in North Carolina in 1701
- Wrn, Bush Jr., who landed in North Carolina in 1701
- Sarah Bush settled in North Carolina in 1701
Bush Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Charles Bush, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1802
- David Bush, aged 27, arrived in New York in 1812
- Leonard Bush, who landed in Maryland in 1826
- George Martin Bush, who arrived in New York in 1831
- Jean Michel Bush, who landed in New York in 1838
Bush Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Henry Bush, who landed in Arkansas in 1903
- Robert Baxter Bush, who arrived in Mobile, Ala in 1904
- James Denniston Bush, who arrived in Alabama in 1920
- Charles Christopher Bush, who arrived in Alabama in 1924
Bush Settlers in Canada in the 18th Century
- Corporal Charles Bush U.E who settled in Canada c. 1783
- Sgt. Henricus Bush U.E who settled in Canada c. 1783
- Mr. Henry Bush U.E who settled in Lincoln County, Niagara, Ontario c. 1783
- Mr. Henry Bush U.E who settled in Canada c. 1783
- Mr. Henry Middagh Bush U.E who settled in Canada c. 1783
Bush Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- John Bush, aged 50, a farmer, arrived in Saint John, NB aboard the ship "Trial" in 1833
- Isabella Bush, aged 50, arrived in Saint John, NB aboard the ship "Trial" in 1833
- Catherine Bush, aged 23, arrived in Saint John, NB aboard the ship "Trial" in 1833
- Biddy Bush, aged 20, arrived in Saint John, NB aboard the ship "Trial" in 1833
- Michael Bush, aged 16, arrived in Saint John, NB aboard the ship "Trial" in 1833
Bush Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- Joseph Bush, English convict from Middlesex, who was transported aboard the "Agamemnon" on April 22, 1820, settling in New South Wales, Australia
- William Bush, English convict from London, who was transported aboard the "Albion" on May 17, 1823, settling in Van Diemen's Land, Australia
- Caroline Bush, English convict from Surrey, who was transported aboard the "America" on December 30, 1830, settling in Van Diemen's Land, Australia
- Robert Bush a seaman, arrived in Kangaroo Island aboard the ship "Rapid" in 1836
- William Bush a painter, arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Prince Regent" in 1839
Bush Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- G F Bush landed in Nelson, New Zealand in 1840
- William Bush landed in Wellington, New Zealand in 1840
- William Bush, aged 33, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Tyne" in 1841
- Jane Bush, aged 33, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Tyne" in 1841
- George F. Bush arrived in Nelson aboard the ship "Lloyds" in 1842
- President George Herbert Walker Bush (b. 1924), 41st President of the United States (1989-1993)
- President George Walker Bush (b. 1946), 43rd president of the USA, son of President George Bush
- Vannevar Bush (1890-1974), American engineer and science administrator known for his work on analog computing and primary organizer of the Manhattan Project
- Barbara Pierce Bush (b. 1925), wife of the 41st President of the United States
- John "Jeb" Bush (b. 1953), American politician, brother of George W. Bush, Governor of Florida (1999-2007)
- Master Gunnery Sergeant Richard Earl Bush (1924-2004), American Marine awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor in 1945
- Hospital Apprentice First Class Robert Eugene Bush (1926-2005), American Navy Hospital Corpsman awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor for gallantry during the Battle of Okinawa
- Alan Dudley Bush (1900-1995), Composer, Conductor, Pianist, with the Royal Academy of Music
- Alice Bush (1914-1974), New Zealand female doctor, pediatrician and activist for family planning services and abortion access
- John Fitzroy Duyland Bush GCB DSC (1914-2013), British Commander-in- Chief Western Fleet (1967-1970), Vice Chief of the Naval Staff (1965–1967)
- Bush Heritage: of Fairfield and Pompton Lakes, New Jersey by Glen Pierce.
- Descendants of Daniel Bush, Sr: Hempfield Township, Westmoreland County, Pennsylvania, 1750-1990 by Elizabeth Bush McCown.
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Peerage and Baronetage, The Privy Council, Knightage and Compainonage. London: Burke Publishing, 1921. Print.
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
- Bullock, L.G. Historical Map of England and Wales. Edinburgh: Bartholomew and Son, 1971. Print.
- Marcharn, Frederick George. A Constitutional History of Modern England 1485 to the Present. London: Harper and Brothers, 1960. Print.
- MacAulay, Thomas Babington. History of England from the Accession of James the Second 4 volumes. New York: Harper and Brothers, 1879. Print.
- Bradford, William. History of Plymouth Plantation 1620-1647 Edited by Samuel Eliot Morrison 2 Volumes. New York: Russell and Russell, 1968. Print.
- Hinde, Thomas Ed. The Domesday Book England's Heritage Then and Now. Surrey: Colour Library Books, 1995. Print. (ISBN 1-85833-440-3).
- Shaw, William A. Knights of England A Complete Record from the Earliest Time to the Present Day of the Knights of all the Orders of Chivalry in England, Scotland, Ireland and Knights Bachelors 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 080630443X).
- The Norman People and Their Existing Descendants in the British Dominions and the United States Of America. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1975. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0636-X).
- Reaney P.H and R.M. Wilson. A Dictionary of English Surnames. London: Routledge, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-415-05737-X).
The Bush Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Bush Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 18 February 2015 at 13:15.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
on orders of $85 or more