Burgoon History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
The ancestors of the Burgoon family brought their name to England in the wave of migration after the Norman Conquest of 1066. They lived in Devon, where they held a family seat after the Norman Conquest of England in the 11th century.
Early Origins of the Burgoon family
The surname Burgoon was first found in Devon, where they held a family seat after the Norman Conquest of England in the 11th century. The name originated in the region of Burgundy in France.
Early History of the Burgoon family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Burgoon research. Another 181 words (13 lines of text) covering the years 1086, 1210, 1273, 1273, 1319, 1379, 1500, 1638, 1680, 1682, 1683, 1703, 1764, 1592, 1657 and 1645 are included under the topic Early Burgoon History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Burgoon Spelling Variations
A multitude of spelling variations characterize Norman surnames. Many variations occurred because Old and Middle English lacked any definite spelling rules. The introduction of Norman French to England also had a pronounced effect, as did the court languages of Latin and French. Therefore, one person was often referred to by several different spellings in a single lifetime. The various spellings include Burgon, Burgoin, Burgunie, Burgoyne, Burgoyn, Burgoigne, Burgane, Burgin and many more.
Early Notables of the Burgoon family (pre 1700)
Another 44 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Burgoon Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
In the United States, the name Burgoon is the 13,333rd most popular surname with an estimated 2,487 people with that name. 
Burgoon migration to the United States +
Many English families left England, to avoid the chaos of their homeland and migrated to the many British colonies abroad. Although the conditions on the ships were extremely cramped, and some travelers arrived diseased, starving, and destitute, once in the colonies, many of the families prospered and made valuable contributions to the cultures of what would become the United States and Canada. Research into the origins of individual families in North America has revealed records of the immigration of a number of people bearing the name Burgoon or a variant listed above:
Burgoon Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Jacob Burgoon, who settled in Maryland in 1771
- Jacob Burgoon, who arrived in Maryland in 1771 
Contemporary Notables of the name Burgoon (post 1700) +
- Jennifer Burgoon, American Anatomy Professor at Ohio State University
- Judee K. Burgoon, American Professor of Communication and Professor of Family Studies and Human Development at the University of Arizona
Related Stories +
- ^ https://namecensus.com/most_common_surnames.htm
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)