Burdette History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
Burdette is one of the many names that the Normans brought with them when they conquered England in 1066. The Burdette family lived in Leicestershire. This surname, however, is a reference to the family's former district of residence, "Bordet," Normandy, where they held a family seat as Lords of Cuilly. One of the earliest record of the name was of William Burdett, who held lands in Potton, Bedfordshire in 1214. Nicolas Burdett held by service of half a knight's fee in 1284.
Early Origins of the Burdette family
The surname Burdette was first found in Leicestershire where the family can be traced to "Hugo de Burdet, who came into England with WIlliam I, and was lord of the manor of Loseby in 1066."  Arrow in Warwickshire was for a long time the family seat of the Burdetts but was passed to the the Conways in the reign of Henry VI which resulted in many lawsuits which remained unsettled until the end of the reign of Henry VIII.
Early History of the Burdette family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Burdette research. Another 92 words (7 lines of text) covering the years 1086, 1602, 1671, 1636, 1640, 1716, 1640, 1716, 1679, 1704, 1642, 1719, 1675, 1747, 1967, 1671, 1630, 1658, 1701, 1668, 1727, 1704 and 1713 are included under the topic Early Burdette History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Burdette Spelling Variations
Before the advent of the printing press and the first dictionaries, the English language was not standardized. Sound was what guided spelling in the Middle Ages, so one person's name was often recorded under several variations during a single lifetime. Spelling variations were common, even among the names of the most literate people. Known variations of the Burdette family name include Burdett, Bordet, Bourdet, Burdet, Burdit, Burditt and others.
Early Notables of the Burdette family (pre 1700)
Outstanding amongst the family at this time was George Burdett (c. 1602-1671), English settler to America in 1636, the second colonial governor of the Upper Plantation of New Hampshire; Sir Francis Burdett, 2nd Baronet, from the Warwickshire branch of the family; his son Sir Robert Burdett, 3rd Baronet DL (1640-1716), a Tory politician; and Sir Robert Burdett, 3rd Baronet (1640-1716) from Warwickshire and Debyshire who...
Another 65 words (5 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Burdette Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Burdette family to Ireland
Some of the Burdette family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt.
Another 71 words (5 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Burdette migration to the United States +
To escape the political and religious chaos of this era, thousands of English families began to migrate to the New World in search of land and freedom from religious and political persecution. The passage was expensive and the ships were dark, crowded, and unsafe; however, those who made the voyage safely were encountered opportunities that were not available to them in their homeland. Many of the families that reached the New World at this time went on to make important contributions to the emerging nations of the United States and Canada. Research into various historical records has revealed some of first members of the Burdette family to immigrate North America:
Burdette Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- William Burdette, who settled in Virginia in 1639
Burdette Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Ruda Burdette, aged 23, who landed in America, in 1895
Burdette Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Jonah Burdette, aged 26, who landed in America, in 1904
- Amy Everest Burdette, aged 26, who landed in America from Stroud, in 1905
- Fred L. Burdette, who settled in America, in 1906
- Clara Burdette, who landed in America, in 1908
- Richard S. Burdette, aged 24, who settled in America, in 1908
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Burdette migration to Canada +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Burdette Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- Anne Burdette, who landed in Nova Scotia in 1830
Contemporary Notables of the name Burdette (post 1700) +
- Robert Jones Burdette (1844-1914), American humorist and clergyman from Greensboro, Pennsylvania
- Cornelius Lonzo Burdette (1878-1955), American gold medalist sport shooter at the 1912 Summer Olympics
- Blake Burdette (b. 1980), American rugby union player
- Freddie Thomason Burdette (1936-2010), American Major League Baseball right-handed pitcher for the Chicago Cubs
- Mallory Burdette (b. 1991), American professional tennis player
- Kevin Burdette, American opera singer
- Nicole Burdette, American playwright and actress
- Robert Jones Burdette (1844-1914), American humorist
- Selva Lewis "Lew" Burdette (1927-1980), American Major League Baseball player, MVP of the 1957 World Series
- Brian Burdette, American Republican politician, Delegate to Republican National Convention from Georgia, 2008 
- ... (Another 13 notables are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Historic Events for the Burdette family +
Arrow Air Flight 1285
- Mr. James D Burdette (b. 1961), American Specialist 4th Class from Lancaster, California, USA who died in the crash 
- Mr. Ralph Warren Burdette, American Musician Second Class from New Jersey, USA working aboard the ship "USS Arizona" when she sunk during the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor on 7th December 1941, he died in the sinking 
Related Stories +