Burdette is one of the many names that the Normans
brought with them when they conquered England
in 1066. The Burdette family lived in Leicestershire
. This surname, however, is a reference to the family's former district of residence, "Bordet," Normandy
, where they held a family seat
as Lords of Cuilly. One of the earliest record of the name was of William Burdett, who held lands in Potton, Bedfordshire
in 1214. Nicolas Burdett held by service of half a knight's fee in 1284.
Early Origins of the Burdette family
The surname Burdette was first found in Leicestershire
where the family can be traced to "Hugo de Burdet, who came into England
with WIlliam I, and was lord of the manor of Loseby in 1066." CITATION[CLOSE]
Shirley, Evelyn Philip, The Noble and Gentle Men of England; The Arms and Descents. Westminster: John Bower Nichols and Sons, 1866, Print.
Arrow in Warwickshire
was for a long time the family seat
of the Burdetts but was passed to the the Conways in the reign of Henry VI which resulted in many lawsuits which remained unsettled until the end of the reign of Henry VIII.
Early History of the Burdette family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Burdette research.Another 92 words (7 lines of text) covering the years 1086, 1602, 1671, 1636, 1640, 1716, 1640, 1716, 1679, 1704, 1642, 1719, 1675, 1747, 1967, 1671, 1630, 1658, 1701, 1668, 1727, 1704 and 1713 are included under the topic Early Burdette History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Burdette Spelling Variations
Before the advent of the printing press and the first dictionaries, the English language was not standardized. Sound was what guided spelling in the Middle Ages, so one person's name was often recorded under several variations during a single lifetime. Spelling variations
were common, even among the names of the most literate people. Known variations of the Burdette family name include Burdett, Bordet, Bourdet, Burdet, Burdit, Burditt and others.
Early Notables of the Burdette family (pre 1700)
Outstanding amongst the family at this time was George Burdett (c.
1602-1671), English settler to America in 1636, the second colonial governor of the Upper Plantation of New Hampshire; Sir Francis Burdett, 2nd Baronet
, from the Warwickshire
branch of the family; his son Sir Robert Burdett, 3rd Baronet
DL (1640-1716), a... Another 79 words (6 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Burdette Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Burdette family to Ireland
Some of the Burdette family moved to Ireland
, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt.Another 71 words (5 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Burdette family to the New World and Oceana
To escape the political and religious chaos of this era, thousands of English families began to migrate to the New World in search of land and freedom from religious and political persecution. The passage was expensive and the ships were dark, crowded, and unsafe; however, those who made the voyage safely were encountered opportunities that were not available to them in their homeland. Many of the families that reached the New World at this time went on to make important contributions to the emerging nations of the United States and Canada. Research into various historical records has revealed some of first members of the Burdette family to immigrate North America:
Burdette Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- William Burdette, who settled in Virginia in 1639
Burdette Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Ruda Burdette, aged 23, who landed in America, in 1895
Burdette Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Jonah Burdette, aged 26, who landed in America, in 1904
- Amy Everest Burdette, aged 26, who landed in America from Stroud, in 1905
- Fred L. Burdette, who settled in America, in 1906
- Clara Burdette, who landed in America, in 1908
- Richard S. Burdette, aged 24, who settled in America, in 1908
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Burdette Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- Anne Burdette, who landed in Nova Scotia in 1830
Contemporary Notables of the name Burdette (post 1700)
- Robert Jones Burdette (1844-1914), American humorist and clergyman from Greensboro, Pennsylvania
- Cornelius Lonzo Burdette (1878-1955), American gold medalist sport shooter at the 1912 Summer Olympics
- Blake Burdette (b. 1980), American rugby union player
- Freddie Thomason Burdette (1936-2010), American Major League Baseball right-handed pitcher for the Chicago Cubs
- Mallory Burdette (b. 1991), American professional tennis player
- Kevin Burdette, American opera singer
- Nicole Burdette, American playwright and actress
- Robert Jones Burdette (1844-1914), American humorist
- Selva Lewis "Lew" Burdette (1927-1980), American Major League Baseball player, MVP of the 1957 World Series
- Brian Burdette, American Republican politician, Delegate to Republican National Convention from Georgia, 2008 CITATION[CLOSE]
The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, October 19) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html
- ... (Another 13 notables are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Historic Events for the Burdette family
Arrow Air Flight 1285
- Mr. James D Burdette (b. 1961), American Specialist 4th Class from Lancaster, California, USA who died in the crash CITATION[CLOSE]
American War Memorials - Flight 1285. (Retrieved 2016, August 24) . Retrieved from http://www.uswarmemorials.org/html/monument_details.php?SiteID=317&MemID=550