Bumpas History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The name Bumpas is of Anglo-Saxon origin. It was name for a swift walker. Originally the name Bumpas was from the Old French expression bon pas. The surname was first found in England soon after the Norman Conquest of 1066.
Early Origins of the Bumpas family
The surname Bumpas was first found in Gloucestershire, where they held a family seat from ancient times.
Important Dates for the Bumpas family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Bumpas research. Another 197 words (14 lines of text) covering the years 1175, 1500, 1616, 1628, 1629, and 1670 are included under the topic Early Bumpas History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Bumpas Spelling Variations
Spelling variations in names were a common occurrence before English spelling was standardized a few hundred years ago. In the Middle Ages, even the literate spelled their names differently as the English language incorporated elements of French, Latin, and other European languages. Many variations of the name Bumpas have been found, including Bumpus, Bonpas, Bumpasse, Bompase, Bumpuss, Bumpusse and many more.
Early Notables of the Bumpas family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Bumpas Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Bumpas migration to the United States
Families began migrating abroad in enormous numbers because of the political and religious discontent in England. Often faced with persecution and starvation in England, the possibilities of the New World attracted many English people. Although the ocean trips took many lives, those who did get to North America were instrumental in building the necessary groundwork for what would become powerful new nations. Among early immigrants of the Bumpas surname to cross the Atlantic and come to North America were:
Bumpas Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Richard Bumpas, who arrived in Virginia in 1638 
- Fran Bumpas, who landed in Virginia in 1696 
Contemporary Notables of the name Bumpas (post 1700)
- Albert Bumpas, American politician, Candidate for U.S. Representative from Indiana 4th District, 1906, 1908 
You May Also Like
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, November 3) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html