name Bicket comes from when the family resided in Cheshire
, where they held a family seat
near Birkenhead at the estuary of the River Birket. It is from the name of the river that their name is derived.
Early Origins of the Bicket family
The surname Bicket was first found in Cheshire
, where they held a family seat
from ancient times, long before the Norman Conquest
Early History of the Bicket family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Bicket research.Another 155 words (11 lines of text) covering the years 1666, 1746, 1650, 1703 and 1700 are included under the topic Early Bicket History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Bicket Spelling Variations
Before English spelling was standardized a few hundred
years ago, spelling variations
of names were a common occurrence. Elements of Latin, French and other languages became incorporated into English through the Middle Ages, and name spellings changed even among the literate. The variations of the surname Bicket include Birket, Birkett, Bircket, Burkett, Birckett, Burket, Burkert and many more.
Early Notables of the Bicket family (pre 1700)
Another 49 words (4 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Bicket Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Bicket family to Ireland
Some of the Bicket family moved to Ireland
, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt.Another 63 words (4 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Bicket family to the New World and Oceana
A great wave of immigration to the New World was the result of the enormous political and religious disarray that struck England
at that time. Families left for the New World in extremely large numbers. The long journey was the end of many immigrants and many more arrived sick and starving. Still, those who made it were rewarded with an opportunity far greater than they had known at home in England
. These emigrant families went on to make significant contributions to these emerging colonies in which they settled. Some of the first North American settlers carried this name or one of its variants:
Bicket Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- I A Bicket, who landed in San Francisco, California in 1855 CITATION[CLOSE]
Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- Robert Bicket, aged 46, who emigrated to America, in 1896
Bicket Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Gilbert Bicket, aged 33, who emigrated to the United States from Kilmornock Ayrshire, Scotland, in 1905
- Annie Bicket, aged 50, who settled in America from Kilmornock Ayrshire, Scotland, in 1905
- May A. Bicket, aged 9, who landed in America from Kilmornock Ayrshire, Scotland, in 1905
- William H. Bicket, aged 26, who emigrated to the United States from Kilmornock Ayrshire, Scotland, in 1905
- Elizabeth Bicket, aged 20, who landed in America from Stevenston, Scotland, in 1914
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Bicket (post 1700)
- Harry Bicket (b. 1961), British conductor, harpsichordist and organist